B/W for critique

scooter2044

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
OK, so while I try to get better aquainted with bird photography I thought I'd submit one of my B/W's. I'm new to DSLR photography and this is from my third try using my camera. Critique away!

cement plant
by Sheila Swindell, on Flickr

The exposure looks good but I really don't know what to look at. It's a bit busy, IMO. Maybe getting to the right so the dark trees along the left take up as much space and a bit closer, maybe even to the edge of the hill.

I'd be interested in some details of the (I guess) tower - behind the tree in the middle, and the area between that tree and the right edge of the photo.

What they said^^^

What is the center of interest?
Why is that tree taking up half the photo, and a tree line obscuring the buildings?

The first thing any viewer does is try to figure out what the photographer is wanting to show them - and I can't figure that out.

About half of the frame is taken up by things that ware NOT the cement plant.

Walk closer. Frame your subject to fill the frame.

BTW: It's going to seem like I'm talking out of two sides of my mouth, but here:

Also, I noticed that many of your other shots are cropping off parts at the edges. Bird wing-tips, etc. Don't do that.

The exposure looks good but I really don't know what to look at. It's a bit busy, IMO. Maybe getting to the right so the dark trees along the left take up as much space and a bit closer, maybe even to the edge of the hill.

I'd be interested in some details of the (I guess) tower - behind the tree in the middle, and the area between that tree and the right edge of the photo.

I didn't get a shot further to the left but here is more of the right side. I tends to get more boring the further right you go. Behind the tree is a huge electric grid which I didn't want in the photo either, and down over the hill a little further is a quarry entrance to the left and diesel train filling station between where the photo was taken and the cement plant. Both may be worthy of some photos but I think like you said, it's too busy already. Thanks for commenting on the exposure. I am still struggling with learning to shoot in manual. I don't know much about post processing in Elements so I am working on getting things right so I don't need to do it there.

cement_2
by Sheila Swindell, on Flickr

Now I know what to look at! ;) There are a few things you could still do, but this is much better.

I don't know much about post processing in Elements so I am working on getting things right so I don't need to do it there.
What we all should strive for.

Don't worry about struggling in manual, technical stuff only matter when it hurts the picture.
This exposure is reasonable but so what.
A decent exposure of nothing is nothing.
I can point to 20 pictures posted here today that are well exposed and sharp but they are lifeless and forgettable because they are about nothing.
First figure out what you want to take a picture of and then compose and frame around that.

Don't worry about struggling in manual, technical stuff only matter when it hurts the picture.
This exposure is reasonable but so what.
A decent exposure of nothing is nothing.
I can point to 20 pictures posted here today that are well exposed and sharp but they are lifeless and forgettable because they are about nothing.
First figure out what you want to take a picture of and then compose and frame around that.
Thank you! I've been so worried about the technical stuff that I forget to get the picture that I started out to get. Very helpful advice. Getting out and getting some practice shots sure beats sitting home on my couch practicing with my different aperture settings, lol.

Now I know what to look at! ;) There are a few things you could still do, but this is much better.

I don't know much about post processing in Elements so I am working on getting things right so I don't need to do it there.
What we all should strive for.
Thanks! I was trying to photograph flying birds my first weekend out (not intentionally, I just couldn't resist the challenge once I saw them) so it seemed more important to worry about ISO and shutter speed. I guess I just have to remember to switch gears between the two and work on my composition.

Start with composition and point of view. Once you have a feel for that, look at the exposure settings. Use the full- and semi-auto modes for a while until you understand what each does, and how they interact, then worry about full manual.

Start with composition and point of view. Once you have a feel for that, look at the exposure settings. Use the full- and semi-auto modes for a while until you understand what each does, and how they interact, then worry about full manual.

Thanks, I think I'll try that next time.

When a 1 year old is coloring, a parent doesn't worry about staying within the lines.
Put some heart into it.
Learn the technical stuff of exposure and depth of field as you go along.

Yes, there is an achievement for catching a bird in flight but just a technical one.
Learn to capture with your camera what your mind's eye sees.

If you're having trouble sleeping, these links may help and also give a hint to what I think.

shooting-in-p-mode-why-photographers-defend-their-methods
11-tips-for-beginning-photographers
is-post-processing-cheating?

When a 1 year old is coloring, a parent doesn't worry about staying within the lines.
Put some heart into it.

Yes, there is an achievement for catching a bird in flight but just a technical one.

If you're having trouble sleeping, these links may help and also give a hint to what I think.

LOL! I got no further than the 3rd paragraph in the first link and started laughing. I must tell you that I was always scolded for coloring outside the lines. Then in the next breath "Why can't you be more like ...". It's an inner struggle to please everyone (and myself) that I have yet to reconcile. Makes it very difficult to be creative. Sometimes I think it's what makes me good at some things but not great at anything. Now, back to the link...

Put some heart into it.

LOL! I got no further than the 3rd paragraph in the first link and started laughing. I must tell you that I was always scolded for coloring outside the lines. Then in the next breath "Why can't you be more like ...". It's an inner struggle to please everyone (and myself) that I have yet to reconcile. Makes it very difficult to be creative. Sometimes I think it's what makes me good at some things but not great at anything. Now, back to the link...
Great advice in those links that I need to start following. I didn't purchase my camera to learn how to use a camera. I wanted to capture the images I saw that meant something to me. I got sidetracked when every video I watched said "get out of auto mode". Thanks!

Most reactions

Back