There is no reason in this day and age to convert to B&W except for personal artistic gratification...
So what do you take your pictures for? I probably take photos for personal gratification anyways
I guess that after over 40 years behind a camera... and much of that in B&W because that is what most of us could process our self, color slide became a godsend and really opened up new horizons for the photographer both dynamically and across the color spectrum.
Now days with digital "film", and all the processing capability of the modern PC, trying to be artistic by removing the color seems a bit retro and a step backwards...
Most conversions try to take a complex shot and "make" it B&W, it then loses much of it's original character.. B&W, in my opinion, works best on simpler scenes where the depth and texture tell the story and give a moodiness... the lack of color becomes the canvas with little attempt necessary then to bring out detail and the shadow provides impact.. This is why B&W works so well with portraits..they tend to be simple without cluttering the frame up with too much minutiae
I seldom see a B&W treatment (conversion) with good depth, lighting, contrast and detail that is substantially better than the original color version.. You need to start with a good photo that actually lends itself to shadow and depth and not just any shot you take.
Still, it's just my opinion... but I think that I've earned one..
These shots are about 10 years old