b&w with camera or photoshop?

dustinpedley

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Is there a difference in the quality of the colors and contrast (black, white, gray) when using the black and white setting on my camera vs. taking a color photo and editing it on photoshop?

Always do it in post, one if you ever wanted to see the color version you have it.

And two, the contrast is much better this way.

I agree.

And also, use a good method of converting to B&W....don't just desaturated it.

The difference between what the camera will do (greyscale) and what you can do with the color photo in post:

3267343749_8c0270190f.jpg

3267753952_294b80b159.jpg

Always do it in post. And learn how to covert...dont just change it to greyscale or desaturated it. There are a many different methods.

As everyone said... always in PP do B&W...

but sarah, I have to say, I like your 1st picture better. The second one looks flared out around the face and a bit scary. You can't see any detail on the face at all. A little over processed.

I shoot in raw, so when I set it to B&W it shows B&W on my camera's LCD so I can see if I got what I wanted, but the actual file is in color in RAW. Which I use to convert to B&W.....

As everyone said... always in PP do B&W...

but sarah, I have to say, I like your 1st picture better. The second one looks flared out around the face and a bit scary. You can't see any detail on the face at all. A little over processed.

Thats the point of the second shot. A bit of high key contrast around the kid. I quite like it.

Hey Big Mike or Sarah, can you post a link that we can read, on the proper method to convert to B/W in PP. Thanks
Like anything in Photoshop...there really isn't a 'proper' method...but plenty of different ways.

Google Photoshop + 'Black & white' and see what you come up with.

THIS thread contains a link (look further down) to the method/action that I most often use.

Always do it in post, one if you ever wanted to see the color version you have it.

And two, the contrast is much better this way.

:thumbup::thumbup:

Just to give the other side of the argument its due diligence, here's a link to an article on DPS about using in-camera black and white to force creativity.

Personally, I agree with everyone above that it's just better to shoot in color and B&W in post, but there's one voice on the other side of the equation.

Thats the point of the second shot. A bit of high key contrast around the kid. I quite like it.

Ummmm... of course that was her point, since that's what she did.

I'm not a fan of it. It looks waaay to artificial. Maybe on some smaller level it could look more natural, but it looks overdone to me.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back