Baby practice

mommy-medic

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Some friends were kind enough to let me practice. I asked a few days ago regarding focal distance, so that's mainly what I was working on here. I do see room for improvement, but was hoping to get some constructive feedback to help me learn and grow.

#1- looked good in pp but now looks bland (also too cool?). Ideas?

6948094873_cf3fec8f84_b.jpg

#2- I missed the composition and as a result don't have enough negative space at the top of the image.

6801981690_05d522e4db_b.jpg

#3- I can't tell what's going on- if it's the focus or just that her features are *that* soft. It appears that the hair at the top of her head is in focus, and the wrap is as well. Her facial features look soft to me (moreso than they should be), but her facial features fall between that hair and that wrap in focal distance, so what did I do wrong? Headband looks blown out. :(

6801981652_e0e531f561_b.jpg

#4- My favorite. I like her fingers.

6948090811_bb8504282f_b.jpg

I like the last one best. It may be just slightly underexposed, but that might just be my personal taste, too. ;) I think you've listed the things that need improvement already. It should be hard to fix the WB in the first, since it's only slightly off.

I don't know what you're using for pp.
It's easy to fall into the " trap" of underexposure and over compensating, especially here.

I'd add slight contrast
lower the vibrance slightly
+5 on saturation
and dim it down slightly with the combination.....not too much.

I like the last one best. It may be just slightly underexposed, but that might just be my personal taste, too. ;) I think you've listed the things that need improvement already. It should be hard to fix the WB in the first, since it's only slightly off.

It's not underexposed. Techically the exposure is in camera.
It looks like a pp issue to me.

Thank you for the feedback!

It's easy to fall into the " trap" of underexposure and over compensating, especially here.

I'd add slight contrast
+5 on saturation

I have LR 3 (3.4, 3.6? 3 something- purchased just before Christmas.) and photoshop CS3 extended. Which image would you do those alterations to, 4?

Thank you for the feedback!

I'd add slight contrast
+5 on saturation

I have LR 3 (3.4, 3.6? 3 something- purchased just before Christmas.) and photoshop CS3 extended. Which image would you do those alterations to, 4?

All of em.

Something to watch for (is that youre little one?), make sure you take some without the props, the headband is pretty much all I see in each pic.

No, not my baby. Some friends were kind enough to let me practice as mentioned in the first post. I do have several without the headband (and numerous other poses/shots) but these four were the ones I wanted feedback on. Thank you though, I didn't find it overwhelming (like some of those pics where the flower is the size of the baby's head, lol) but it's certainly something I will keep in mind.

Its not really overwhelming individually, but since its in all that you posted it is a little repetative and almost like an etsy ad for the headband, if that makes sense. I don't do babies so I've got no tips there. She looks totally conked out though <3

gotcha! I can totally see that, especially in the one of her feet- it really looks disproportionate. Eh, that's what practice is for though I guess. My babies are 12, 10, and 5 so playing with coworkers babies satisfies the baby fever without the sleep deprivation. I get enough of that at work. :)

Personally, I like the the newborn photos where you can see the whole baby (Laying sideways with booty popped in the air). I do like close up macro shots of baby too. You can check out Glow Portraits on FB, she has some amazing baby work, that's very clean and simple.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back