baby shots!

Raymond J Barlow

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.raymondbarlow.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I set up my studio lighting for some pics of Maria, and i am really not too happy with them., please post some pointers?? I am looking for a softer look.

DSC_18600131websize.jpg

DSC_18810133websize.jpg

DSC_19040136websize.jpg

the exif on the first shot...

Nikon D70
2005/12/16 08:43:44
JPEG (8-bit) Basic
Image Size: Large (3008 x 2000)
Lens: 18-70mm F/3.5-4.5 G
Focal Length: 40mm
Exposure Mode: Manual
Metering Mode: Spot
1/250 sec - F/8
Exposure Comp.: -0.7 EV
Sensitivity: ISO 200
Optimize Image: Portrait
White Balance: Flash
AF Mode: AF-C
Flash Sync Mode: Front Curtain
Auto Flash Mode: Built-in M
Color Mode: Mode Ia (sRGB)
Tone Comp.: Auto
Hue Adjustment: 0°
Saturation: Normal
Sharpening: Medium low
Image Comment:
Noise Reduction: OFF

Thanks for looking and your help!

Well.. I can't give too much advice, as I haven't even attempted 'baby photography' but from pictuers my father has been sending me, what seems to work best is to just have them on a plain white sheet and bounce the light off the walls. I know for this shot, my father used a 50mm at f/2.8, and he got some pretty large and harsh catchlights but in general it turned out okay. The white balance is off so.. obviously that would need to be tweeked.
74796467_ff08a7266b.jpg

And here is another shot. (I think he is going to be a trouble maker)
74796483_8aa97433f5.jpg

Just to make sure this is known: I was not the one who took these pictures, these were taken by my father. But hopefully I will have the oppurtunity to try my hand at it soon enough.

I was even thinking that when I first saw these in the other thread: the background is too dark to give the soft, warm feeling. Plus Maria looks a bit cold as she is. I like that you undressed her for the photos, but it seems the room still wasn't warm enough. And the dark blue does not help that warm, cosy feeling you were going for.
Anything really soft might help (machine washable might be the choice since with babies this young ... erm ... well ... you never know... ;)).
Can't wait to see some more Maria-photos.
She is so pretty and so cute, I can't get enough of them!

I agree with Corinna about the background - too dark and... busy... in the first one I mean... try something light... and play with shallower DOF

The last one is very nice as it is! Mother and daughter! Two beautiful people! To think that only a few days ago this little person was INSIDE Daisy...! Can you still imagine that????

Your showin off the baby too much, Ray! It is telling me you've exceeded your bandwidth...I can't view em! :(

Most reactions

New Topics

Back