Back Button Focusing-Who is skilled at using it?

So far, I don't think anyone has tried to say BBF is a one-stop cure-all for focusing issues. It's merely a tool that can be used.... when needed.

I find BBF priceless when shooting on really low light (slow shutter speed) where it's difficult to even manually focus and where you need to recompose on a tripod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never used the back button. If I was having problems staying locked on moving subjects I would try everything to fix the problem, but I don't have that problem. I think , like so many things camera related it simply comes down to personal choice, and what feels right. I'm used to the feel of using just a shutter button, and the amount of pressure I need to stay on it while I follow the subject.

I'm curious, what function(s) do you have your shutter button set to do? If the subject is moving quickly towards you and you want several bursts to get shots of their legs and arms in different positions - AI Servo mode (depending on the camera brand you use)?

I would like to try something different.

I use BBF exclusively.
Prior to that, I learned how to roll my forefinger over the shutter release button rather than just slamming it down to take a shot. Really reduces camera shake.

I've never used the back button. If I was having problems staying locked on moving subjects I would try everything to fix the problem, but I don't have that problem. I think , like so many things camera related it simply comes down to personal choice, and what feels right. I'm used to the feel of using just a shutter button, and the amount of pressure I need to stay on it while I follow the subject.

I'm curious, what function(s) do you have your shutter button set to do? If the subject is moving quickly towards you and you want several bursts to get shots of their legs and arms in different positions - AI Servo mode (depending on the camera brand you use)?

I use a Canon 1Dx have it set on Al servo all the time, use centre spot and keep it in the centre of the chest. The Dx is capable of up to 14fps, although I rarely shoot long bursts, maybe 5-6 frame bursts.

I use a Canon 1Dx have it set on Al servo all the time, use centre spot and keep it in the centre of the chest. The Dx is capable of up to 14fps, although I rarely shoot long bursts, maybe 5-6 frame bursts.

Thank you for the reply. So when the shutter is depressed to take the short burst of 5-6 frames, it's also still operating the servo tracking function - simultaneously?

Shooting by focus and recompose, I use Single Shot focus. When shooting subjects moving toward or away from me, and still in Single Shot mode, I let go of the shutter release then press it again. If I am expecting a moving subject, I set to Servo mode and the camera tracks the subject, even during a burst of shots. The catch is that you have to keep an active focus point on your subject which can be a challenge with a subject that is moving quickly but erratically.

Shooting by focus and recompose, I use Single Shot focus. When shooting subjects moving toward or away from me, and still in Single Shot mode, I let go of the shutter release then press it again. If I am expecting a moving subject, I set to Servo mode and the camera tracks the subject, even during a burst of shots. The catch is that you have to keep an active focus point on your subject which can be a challenge with a subject that is moving quickly but erratically.

Yes, that is exactly how I catch birds in flight and pretty much every other critter. However, I use ai servo almost all the time and BBF 100 % now. I either hold the button down for moving objects or just depress it once for stationary subjects.

Cool to know that the 1DX autofocus is fast enough to not have to separate the button/function. Hoping 7dm2 is same or close.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So different strokes for different folks.

This is how I configure BBF (on Nikon D7100 and D750):
  • The AE-L/AF-L button on the rear is set to AF-ON.
  • AF mode is always set to AF-C (continuous autofocus)
This is how I use it:
  • Press and hold to initiate and maintain continuous autofocus. Press the shutter release when required. This is for any situation where I know or think the subject might move, even just a small amount i.e. wildlife, sports and portraits.
  • Press once and release to attain and lock focus. I use this method for static shots e.g. landscapes, for focus-and-recompose, or where I want to lock focus on a particular spot for some reason. Note that this is exactly the same as using AF-S (single servo autofocus).
With the above setup I am able to utilise the full functionality of both the AF-S and AF-C autofocus modes without having to mess around with the AF mode selector and dial.

Note that with the above bodies you can also set the shutter half-press to have the AE-Lock function if you desire.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back