What's new

Back Lit Fig Leaf

PixelRabbit

A naughty little bunny...
Joined
Nov 28, 2011
Messages
6,593
Reaction score
3,719
Location
Ontario
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Since I hadn't shot them in forever I decided to take some shots of the fig leaves before they fall. There was a short window of sun and I took advantage of it and got some yummy back light on them.
Couldn't decide so posting two, do you prefer one over the other?
Would love to hear your thoughts!
Thanks for taking a look.












 
My first thought is that I would've liked to see these with much more depth of field. In particular, this is an issue on the first image because the eye moves naturally from left to right, and in this case the eye is guided to a big area that's out of focus. If you flip the image horizontally you'll end up with a much more pleasing image because the eye will not end up in that big blurred area. But like I said, I think you need much more DOF.

Other than that, your subject is beautiful, in particular the colour and the texture.

Just my 2 cents, others might differ.
 
Last edited:
I agree that #2 is stronger, but regardless, I like the idea!
 
Wow must be my eyes work backwards....lol.
When looking at pic 1 I was drawn up the channel as it were from bottom to top ignoring the out of focus area.
Very nice shot.
 
I felt the same way as invisible...the shallow DOF on these makes me not want to look at either for very long. That said, I like #2 slightly more...better exposure, and a smidge more detail...and I think the vertical framing and the way the major veins in the leaf are arranged is slightly more appealing in the second shot.
 
Both are selective focused ones with three distinct OOF/F/OOF regions; i feel F/OOF would work better than three sections... not sure though

Of course i like them as such too :D


PS: I doubt lines that lead out of the frame could be taken as leading lines at all :scratch:
 
Thanks so much everyone :)
I figured that the DOF was either going to wow or tank badly despite me liking it lol ;)
I wanted to try to get away from the flat shots of the leaf. Looking with fresh eyes this morning I do like the second portrait orientation better composition wise.
I get what you guys are saying and will try this again with more DOF, perhaps further towards the tip where I have larger sections of leaf (these things are BIG).
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom