Back onto the street, street style!

molested_cow

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
img24.photobucket.com
By street style, I meant with a 50mm on FF.

It's been a while since I was in a populated place. Last month I visited my grandparents and went to the nearest major city to feel what it is like to be in the city again.
Tainan, Taiwan is the oldest major city in Taiwan. It's the original capitol and was the most prosperous city back in the days, therefore it has the most traditional architecture in Taiwan.
Taiwanese like to pray, a lot! They visit temples to ask for many things. Wealth, good luck, prosperity, fortune, career, family, health, academic success.... you name it. I just go there to say thanks, and to take photographs.

Here are a few from the temples in the city.

Traditional ceremonial banner makers. They are a rare breed. These banners are used in all kinds of traditional ceremonies. This street used to be full of these shops with banner makers handcrafting them. She's the only one I found still doing it herself.

DSC_2235.jpg

DSC_2240.jpg

DSC_2239.jpg

The same goes for "God statue" sculptors.

DSC_2243.jpg

DSC_2241.jpg

Here's "General Guan" temple. He stands for justice and brotherhood. Cops and... well, gangsters worship him. He's a real person from the warlord era thousands of years ago.

DSC_2244.jpg

As traditional as it is, it's interesting to see that the temple keepers rely on computers to kill time.
DSC_2246.jpg

DSC_2245.jpg

DSC_2251.jpg

DSC_2250.jpg

DSC_2252.jpg

DSC_2257.jpg

Here are some fortune-telling apparatus.

First you ask the gods your questions. Then you toss a pair of these cresent-shaped wooden pieces onto the floor. The wooden pieces are curved on one side and flat on the other. If the pair lands one side up and one side down, it's good news. If it lands both sides up, means keep trying. If it lands both sides flat, it's not good.
Another way is to shake the container of sticks until one falls out. Each one is coded. You will then take the one to an interpreter and he will explain what it means. The answer will pertain to your question.

DSC_2260.jpg

DSC_2264.jpg

Now comes the money part.
People burn paper "money" as a form of worship.
Then people also donate money to the temple. It's interesting to see what's being donated now, because among the bills, you see RMB. For those who understands the politics between Taiwan and China, it should be obvious to you. Basically, Taiwan started allowing mainlanders to visit Taiwan as tourists. It's interesting to see a mixture of bills with both Sun Yat Sen and Mao's head in the same pile.

DSC_2267.jpg

DSC_2265.jpg

DSC_2273.jpg

Old lady folding paper lily for sale.
DSC_2275.jpg

Probably asking for the kid's bright future?
DSC_2282.jpg

More wishes...
DSC_2285.jpg

Offerings for purchase.
DSC_2289.jpg

DSC_2290.jpg

Old street beside the temple.

DSC_2279.jpg

DSC_2280.jpg

Most reactions

Back