backback for hiking

Mitch1640

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
im looking into backpacks that could hold my d90 18-105, 70-300, 50, 11-16, and my tripod. i was looking at the lowepro flipside 200, but i havent heard good things about the tripod strap, does any one know of any good alternatives to that back? i dont want the bag to be that big and id like to not spend more then 100 bucks if possible.

Check out the Lowepro Orion series, the Trekker and Computrekker series and the Nature Trekker series. I've got a Computrekker AW and it's a great bag, but it's not without it's problems. I know someone with a NatureTrekker and it looks pretty slick. I like how the tripod attaches on the side and how the pack is slim and closer to your centre of gravity.

Less than 100 bucks is a stretch for a quality bag that'll fit all that stuff.

Do yourself a favor - take the D90 and only 1 other lens, picked based on what you'd rather photograph (landscape or far-off wildlife?). You'll shoot more and get better pictures.

/kenrockwell

For day tripping I use the Camelback Ranger pack. It actually will carry alot of stuff. I made straps for carrying my tripod or, monopod. The other side benefit is it carries water so I drink more water when Im hiking as opposed to canteens and, waterbottles. I have been beating the hell out of mine for over 2 years now and, it still keeps hanging in there.

If you want a true hiking pack, that will hold camera gear too...your probably going to have to make one by converting a hiking pack over with custom padding. Ive converted the sleeping bag compartment of packs over on quite a few packs. It works out great, because youve got a seperate front zip pocket for the gear, and it keeps your hiking stuff seperated. Ive yet to see a decent dual purpose bag from ANY manufacturer. Either they are geared towards camera's and the idiots made the thing weigh too much, or its hiking oriented and doesnt have enough protection for the camera.

The only one Ive seen thats half decent is Naneu Pro | ADVENTURE K5 HIKING PHOTO PACK | K5 | B&H Photo Video

Your choice will depend on the kind of hiking your doing.
If your doing some extended hiking and will need to take a backpack large enough to carry what you need in addition to your gear, i'll make a suggestion based on my upcoming plans to backpack asia with all of my gear:
strap your tripod to the side of your backpack - backpacks come with enough straps for this to happen easily.
for your camera gear, especially, if you're wanting to take all of your lenses, get a hipbag out of the Lowepro lineup. I picked up the Lowepro offroad; it'll keep everything in front of me, so that i can change lenses in a hurry, and my tripod is on guard on my backpack in case i need it.
Best of luck!

im looking into backpacks that could hold my d90 18-105, 70-300, 50, 11-16, and my tripod. i was looking at the lowepro flipside 200, but i havent heard good things about the tripod strap, does any one know of any good alternatives to that back? i dont want the bag to be that big and id like to not spend more then 100 bucks if possible.

Most reactions

Back