Backdrop question

Blossom101

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What I want to purchase is a white and black vinyl backdrop that mounts to the ceiling and rolls kind of like a shade.

Where do you suggest I purchase something like this and what size do you think I need? I would like to be able to shoot families(maybe up to 5 or 6 people), so I figure i need something kind of large.

What is the ceiling mount thing called? I type in "backdrop ceiling mount" at B&H and it doesn't show what I'm looking for.

Please help me. I'm very curious to see how much the set up I desire will cost.

I am not completely set on the vinyl, but it just seems like what I want, I am open to other ideas and hearing what you use as a backdrop.

My studio will be in my mom's building, she has just had it remodeled and she is letting my use it as my studio, but she wants to be able to quickly roll up the backdrop when I'm not using it. The building is like 20X20. Do you think the vinyl is a good option? I'm not really into that wrinkled background material, I like the smooth white and background to start off with.

Those stationary fixed ceiling mount systems are very expensive. Most backgrounds are going to be muslin, canvas or paper. If you don't like the wrinkled look you have different options. First, you should have sufficient distance between the subject and the background so that you can blur the background using controlled DoF. 20X20 may be a little tight. For 5-6 people you are going to need a fairly large background like 10x20, you may consider the paper rolls. I use a background stand similar to this one:
Manfrotto by Bogen Imaging | Background Support System | 1314B
It works well and goes up and down quickly.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back