background paper bumpy

kkamin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.kevinkaminphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've had problems with background paper developing a cellulite-like texture after being in my studio for a while. It is strange because the studio is very dry. Any insights?

Not knowing how you're hanging it, but one solution for taking out wrinkles in the backdrop is to use a couple of A clamps on the vertical support. The A clamps can be found quite cheap from your local DIY store. Take one side and clamp it. Take the other side and pull it taut.... and clamp it. Much easier than steaming or ironing the backdrop.

It's absolutely best to keep paper rolls not in use standing upright in a very dry area...in the winter time, the paper will absorb moisture from the air and develop that bumpy texture, especially if the roll is not kept inside the plastic that it shipped in; this is my experience, based on where I live.

If the rolls are on Bogen's Alu-Core and stored in the shooting area horizontally, and ready to be pulled into position at a moment's notice, they will still tend to absorb whatever moisture is in the air during the winter time, at least where I live. This might be different in Arizona or some other hotter,drier climate. I live where it rains a LOT during the winter.

One of the big advantages of FF is being able to throw the paper backdrop OOF and still use apertures in the f/7.1 range with lenses as long as 135mm indoors on half-body shots. With my 20D indoors, I have a lot more problems with backgrounds showing up and being too-much in-focus. I only have 24 feet to shoot in,total, so with 1.5x or 1.6x, I have to use shorter focal lengths on a smaller sensor, and THAT alone pulls much more DOF,and shows the texture of the seamless backdrop much more clearly than FF shooting; something to think about if you do a lot of studio shooting.

For me throwing lights on the background cures most of the flaws. Also unrolling and rolling causes more problems then anything. Post some details and we can help further.

Love & Bass

Most reactions

New Topics

Back