Background paper colors?

NJMAN

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Far beyond the bowels of human existence...Minneso
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have used muslin backgrounds for portrait photography for the last 4 years, and I'm really sick of it. I don't want to deal with the wrinkles, lint, and periodic cleaning. I have standard colors of solid black, solid cream color (off white), and marbled blue/gray.

I want to make the switch to seamless background paper. Does anyone have any recommendations for size, basic solid colors to start with, brand, price, etc.? I have a backdrop system that is usually set up at 9 feet wide, but I can extend to 12 feet.

I want to start with the most basic and versatile colors to get the most use of them. What do you think, gray, or white, or black to start with? I usually shop online at Adorama.

Thanks for any help on this!

NJ

I want to make the switch to seamless background paper. Does anyone have any recommendations for size, basic solid colors to start with, brand, price, etc.? I have a backdrop system that is usually set up at 9 feet wide, but I can extend to 12 feet.

I want to start with the most basic and versatile colors to get the most use of them. What do you think, gray, or white, or black to start with? I usually shop online at Adorama.

NJ
Here are all the colors: Paper (Savage)

You can make grey backgrounds any color you want with strobed light (background exposure value) and/or gels.

NAPP members do not pay for regular shipping from B&H Photo Video.

Adorama says to NAPP members: "(Note: Free shipping does not apply to some extra heavy or long items ie: long background paper)".

A NAPP membership costs $99 a year. You would save more than that in just 2 shipments of 4 rolls in each shipment of seamless.

There is a NAPP referral link in my siggy ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ if you were to decide to join.

Imagine how much one can save just on seamless shipments to Minneapolis, at about 60 rolls of seamless a year. (about $830 in yearly saved shipping charges if delivered as 10 separate shipments of 6 rolls each, just by being a NAPP member and ordering only seamless through B&H's NAPP member link.)

Last edited:
Gray is very easy to work with. I like the darker #27, Thunder Gray quite a bit. Black is a superb choice for using with gels. Savage is a good brand. I can buy it locally, so that's kind of handy. I like the Manfrotto/Bogen autopoles and their nifty expan drive system for backdrop support--it makes the paper roll up and down easily and without wrinkling.

NJ
Here are all the colors: Paper (Savage)

You can make grey backgrounds any color you want with strobed light (background exposure value) and/or gels.

NAPP members do not pay for regular shipping from B&H Photo Video.

Adorama says to NAPP members: "(Note: Free shipping does not apply to some extra heavy or long items ie: long background paper)".

A NAPP membership costs $99 a year. You would save almost that in just 2 shipments of 4 rolls in each shipment of seamless.

There is a NAPP referral link in my siggy ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ if you were to decide to join.

Imagine how much one can save just on seamless shipments to Minniapolis, at about 60 rolls of seamless a year. (about $830 in yearly saved shipping charges if delivered as 10 separate shipments of 6 rolls each, just by being a NAPP member and ordering only seamless through B&H's NAPP member link.)

Gray is very easy to work with. I like the darker #27, Thunder Gray quite a bit. Black is a superb choice for using with gels. Savage is a good brand. I can buy it locally, so that's kind of handy. I like the Manfrotto/Bogen autopoles and their nifty expan drive system for backdrop support--it makes the paper roll up and down easily and without wrinkling.

Thank you both very much for the great info! You have been very helpful. I really appreciate it. :)

NJ

Most reactions

Back