Backing off 10 yrds and punting

StevenW

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Seems I've spent the majority of a lifetime involved in photography and a big chunk of it as a working professional. My wife and I joined forces to launch a horse show photography business almost 10 years ago. That business sustained us and provided a life we both enjoyed filled with travel and experiences others might only dream of. Two years ago we let go of that endeavor. The horse show business declined in wake of the economic downturn and we were not able to put together a workable plan in response. We also had to relocate from Texas (my home state) to South Carolina (her home state).

The reality of financial responsibility led me to take what I hoped would be a temporary part-time job, just a little something to keep the wolves away from our door. I'd also hoped that part-time employment would afford me time to rebound and reformulate a business plan. That was not at all the case as the scheduling was inconsistent and days off were never together and seldom predictable. I've accepted a full-time job offer at a respectable salary. One huge plus is the shifts are 12 hours and I'll have alternating weekends off (Fri.-Sun.) tons of predictability. Also are paid holidays which by nature of the work will most likely be deferred days off and the likelihood of accrued compensatory time off.

We'll have a reasonably comfortable level of income, enough to save while we redefine our photographic life. I'll view this as sort of a reorganization period, like one following bankruptcy (which I thank God we avoided).

I'm reminded of a photographer who once said, "Sometimes you have to just do the work" and sometimes that work isn't photography related, I guess. I want to develop my skills in the area of tabletop product and food photography. It's not sexy enough to attract the Rock Stars, too technical to grab the interest of a whole lot of photographers. And best of all technical photography really appeals to me.

If anyone has ever had to go do something they did not want to do until they could make the turnaround, please offer some suggestions. I'm not giving up and not retreating. In the words of Gen. Oliver P. Smith: "We are advancing in another direction".

Last edited:
When life throws you a wrench, you just have to make the best of it, and not give up.
Always have a plan B.
The new location may give you an opportunity that you did not have before, so keep an eye on the local market, and be willing to adapt.
It might even be in a non-photo business. So keep your options open.

There has been significant conversation recently about the business of photography. Frankly, none of it has been good. Cell phones have reached capabilities that provide what most folks want in a photo. Head-shots are easy with the cellphone, as are videos and real estate photos.
Each capability of the cell phone is one less area we can use to make money.
I would suggest you consider what skills you have that can be used in this new paradigm. Perhaps teaching composition or cropping?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back