Backing up your photos

I back all of my photos up to cds or dvds every 3-4 months except for my fd photos. those get backed up to cd within 2 days as well as also downloaded to the fd computer. By doing this, I ensure that I will not loose the photos that I have worked hard to get as well as ensure they continue to work.

Ahhh, memories.

Old thread but it's worth a post....

Sparky's method is excellent.

Personally, I have a fake raid system separate from my editing desktop that I copy my folders to. I wrote a python script that checks for new images and resizes the jpgs and drops them in a website every hour. I have a backup drive in a fireproof safe that I plug in via usb and it automatically runs an rsync session that updates/copies any new files present. It runs via a autorun script so I just plug it in and it goes.

I don't yet have an offsite storage but it is something I will be figuring out soon.

Well I lost all my photos before and was absolutely devastated. I know this is going to seem a bit over the top. But I have 3 drives at my house that are backed up once a month. I also have a drive at my inlaws house that I bring home and back up once a month. I also have a drive at my parents house in CT that gets shipped back to my house in WI 2x a year.

In case my house burns down or someone breaks into my house and steals things. I'm covered by having one at my inlaws in the next town over. And if for some reason this area is wiped out (and i survive rofl) the one in CT will have most of my important stuff.

I had lost 15k photos of my son from pregnancy to 1 1/2. I was able to recover most but I will never go thru that hell again lol.

OOOPS!!!!

This thread just reminded me that I am 7 MONTHS since my last backup!

YIKES!!!

I too, keep a backup HD at home and another at my office. In the past year, we've had a tornado that cut off power for 3 days, a micro burst that blacked us out for a day and a half, and a snowstorm that blacked us out for more than a week! Fortunately, my computer and all backups were unscathed. Life in New England is sooo much fun these days!

EDIT: Oh yea...I forgot about the monster snow we had last winter, too!

I tried the multiple drives at multiple locations but it was too much hassle. Lazy won and I now use the cloud, crash plan since it doesn't have upload throttling like Carbonite.

I just ordered a 4 bay Drobo Drive. I will start with two 2 tb drives and add from there.You can hot swap the drives and when it starts to fill you get a message to add another drive or replace a small drive with a larger one .

Drobo Home

I tried the multiple drives at multiple locations but it was too much hassle. Lazy won and I now use the cloud, crash plan since it doesn't have upload throttling like Carbonite.

Hope you never have to do a recovery from the cloud.

Hope you never have to do a recovery from the cloud.

Yep, that's what the danger is.... When "Megaupload" servers were seized, lots of people who were saving their stuff there were stuck. Many didn't have local copies. The local paper ran the story of an IT consultant who essentially lost all his working project files because he had his stuff "out there".

Thing is, stuff breaks. Last week, my home-office system (with mirrored drives, extensive external backups) died. However since all my data is stored redundantly, I didn't lose any work or files. Once the parts come in and I can repair the system, I'll also be able to restore it. In the meantime, I continue working on my other systems...

Most reactions

Back