Backpack Carrying Case

Crosby

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Carrying Cases. I'm thinking about a backpack. Here is what I am thinking:$50 at B&H.

Any suggestions? For me, I think it will work fine but like most things ordered online, I hate to get something that I can't touch before I purchase. What do the 'experienced' use?

Thanks in advance.

It all depends on the amount of equipment you intend to bring along. I have a LowePro Slingshot 200AW and it has been working very well and I love how simle it is to access the compartments without having to take the bag off. Build quality is also great. I would not hesitate to recommend this bag.

However, the Slingshot is beginning to be a little too small for my needs so I have just ordered a Kata R-103. A good travellers bag I hope with room for my laptop and some extra stuff.

Yah, it really depends on what you want. I had first bought a backpack that was around $75-90, but it really was just too big for my needs. I wanted something small that I could fit only everything I need in it. I settled on the Tamrac Mini Trekker, or something like that. It's perfect for me!

That's a nice bag. Check amazon and adorama. It was going for $30 on one of those sites at one point. That and it's a nice sized bag.

I have that lowepro trekker 100. Great bag, but im definetly going to have to upgrade to something bigger. Infact i was looking at that canon bag aswell. Ive heard some great stuff about it and was able to check it out in best buy also. Ive actually seen them go for under 40 bucks on ebay.

You get what you pay for. If its a $30 or $50 bag, it is not likely of very good quality padding and if it gets wet, its also likely not very waterproof.

Get a backpack MADE for cameras, like a LowePro mini-trekker AW.

If you want to save money, buy yourself a $10 Roots backpack and a $5 piece of foam, and cut it out to match your equipment, but... don't complain if your stuff gets wet or damaged. :)

You get what you pay for. If its a $30 or $50 bag, it is not likely of very good quality padding and if it gets wet, its also likely not very waterproof.

Get a backpack MADE for cameras, like a LowePro mini-trekker AW.

If you want to save money, buy yourself a $10 Roots backpack and a $5 piece of foam, and cut it out to match your equipment, but... don't complain if your stuff gets wet or damaged. :)

:roll:

Come on. At least look up the equipment before you try and trash it. It's a CANON backpack. It's made for camera equipment

$37 on amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Backpack-200EG-Cameras-Greenish/dp/B00009R6TA

406 5 star reviews
137 4 star
32 3
12 2
17 1

Not bad for
a backpack MADE for cameras.

http://www.amazon.com/review/product/B00009R6TA/ref=dp_db_cm_cr_acr_txt?%5Fencoding=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Edit:
Technical Details
  • Bag fits two smaller SLR camera bodies, 3-4 lenses, and additional small accessories
  • Constructed of waterproofed polyester and nylon
  • Water repellant and urethane coated for extra durability
  • Padded divider system for on-the-go organization; includes tripod straps on pack bottom
  • Lightweight, with padded shoulder straps and back for comfortable use

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
That's a fine backpack. I almost bought one until I found a Lowepro Micro Trekker 100. I only went with the Lowepro because it was all black and the Canon has those olive drab panels. (Yes, I'm vain :blushing:)

You're right that it would help to try some on before buying, so can you get to a camera shop? You could try some on to see how they feel, but obviously you wouldn't have to buy one there.

The Canon bag is pretty good.

It has similar lens space as the Slingshot 300 - 300 is slightly bigger if you count the extra space at top. I stick my hoods in there so the space is not "that important" (to me).

I only chose Slingshot because I did not want to put bag down when swapping lens. And the single shoulder strap is SO comfy :) ... there are many who do not agree with me though.

Canon bag cost $70 less which is NICE!

I only chose Slingshot because I did not want to put bag down when swapping lens. And the single shoulder strap is SO comfy :) ... there are many who do not agree with me though.

Single shoulder can hurt after a while if you're filled up. I have a crumpler 7MDH as a "take everything with me" pack. I'm going to get around to buying the Canon pack for those days for UE and more active movement. I can carry the 7MDH for a little while and being a messenger style bag it so easy to get into, but with The heaviest Canon 70-200, my gripped 30D, a flash, three flash clamp brackets, two more smaller lenses, charges, batteries, filters, a 580EX II, and other junk, it can definitely make you sore by the end of the day. It's just so easy to access and after I rearranged it, it carries everything perfectly.

:roll:

Come on. At least look up the equipment before you try and trash it. It's a CANON backpack. It's made for camera equipment

Sorry, I should have been more complete, but I was rushed this morning.

I've seen this backpack with my own eyes, held it and looked at it closely. Comparing it to a LowePro, is like comparing a yugo to a cadillac. In this specific case, just becuase a backpack has a brand logo on it, doesn't make it much better than that Roots backpack that I was speaking of earlier.

I have NO issues taking my $6000 worth of equipment and walking with int in my lowepro bad in a pouring rain. Matter of fact, I *have*. I would not recommend anyone do that with this bag, unless you want to soak your camera equipment.

I do not expect anyone to accept my evaluation point blank... but I would hope that they do at least the same that I have... and that is to compare it to other models in real life.

Personally, I would never get a bag from Canon or Nikon...the reason, and I'm probably being paranoid, is that i dont want people to know I have a camera. Few folks would know what "Lowepro" was, but most people know the popular name brands of cameras. To me that would make it all the more tempting to try to steal. Crazy, I know, but something to consider all the same.

i would look into the lowepro fastpack series.

http://products.lowepro.com/product/Fastpack-100,2084.htm

i personally hate bags that do not distribute the weight evenly between the shoulders and back as this can cause alot of pain. the fastpack is comfortable and easily accessible. it has a side slot similar to the slingshot. i got the fastpack 200 and this is more than adequate for a camera with a long telephoto lens and 3-4 extra lenses, flash, extra things u need for the camera, and even snacks and drinks.

Thanks for all the input! I like the different opinions especially about the sling bag, with its advantages and disadvantages. Also, Bama's point about having CANON stitched to the bag. Its kinda advertising that I have expensive stuff in the bag.

I think I will look at Lowepro for a waterproof/resistant bag. I plan on doing some hiking for photos and I will probably end up in the rain.

I also do some canoeing on the Buffalo river and thought that a good 'dry bag' should do the trick, but I am concerned about moisture from humidity being trapped in the bag and what effects that will have on the camera.

I personally hate sling bags, they place all the weight on one shoulder. I could not see myself being very comfortable after 8 hours of lugging it all on one side, I did feel very good after carrying about 18-20 pounds for 10 hours on my back with the backpack. Of course that was in Florida, and the only inconvenience is the sweat that tends to buildup on the back from it on hot days, but really, thats very minor.

This is more a personal thing. I would think that someone that benches 300 lbs would not feel much strain on one shoulder from 8 hours of 20 pounds. Unfortunately, this person is not me... lol.

Most reactions

Back