Backpack help

photowilly

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
whats the best backpack for hiking, to carry camera gear plus snacks and a camelbak bladder? I don’t really do a lot of hardcore hiking, but I go a few times a year and I need more room. I just have one dslr and 3 lens plus filter etc.

Something that doesn’t make me go broke would be great.

Thanks!

I think you have to go to an outdoors shop and try them on, backpack like bikes really need to be fitted to your body. Osprey packs are very popular and are great packs however for some reason they just don't fit right with my back, even sized right, they just don't work for me.

I am coming to the conclusion for photo gear I want a pack built a little bit bigger than what I intend to carry. I think my next daypack for photo gear is actually going to be a very small (multi-day) backpack designed for an overnight trip. Not that I plan to stuff it more that the suspension might handle the weight of lenses better.

Last edited:
I personally recommend the Lowepro 200AW. The wife bought this for me a few years ago, and it’s gone on several hiking trips. Holds my camera gear, food, tripod, extra socks, and other accessories. It has space for a hydration pack. Plus, it’s really comfortable.

Here’s a link to it on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004XNLR16/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_C4dnBb48GQDRV

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The real question usually ends up on one of two sides. Do you want a camera bag, that is ok for packing, or do you want a good backpack that is ok for cameras.

While I do have a good Pelican camera/laptop backpack, it rarely gets used on any kind of walking event. I find backpacks easier then other style of bags to even move gear short distances.

If I was planning on doing what you suggest, I would look at good backpacks and find a way to put your camera gear in it.

I personally recommend the Lowepro 200AW. The wife bought this for me a few years ago, and it’s gone on several hiking trips. Holds my camera gear, food, tripod, extra socks, and other accessories. It has space for a hydration pack. Plus, it’s really comfortable.

Here’s a link to it on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004XNLR16/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_C4dnBb48GQDRV

Does the tripod get attached on the side of that somehow?

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

Does the tripod get attached on the side of that somehow?

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app
I’ve usually used one of two methods: 1) in water bottle pocket on side and 2) at the straps on the bottom. Both have worked for me, but I have a smallish travel tripod when I go hiking (MeFoto Roadtrip).

That's sort of like asking "What shoes should I buy?" It depends on what you want. As others have noted, you can either buy a backpack for hiking and put some camera gear in it (using padded pouches, etc.) or buy a camera backpack and out some hiking stuff in it (water, snacks, etc.)

I use a LowePro 400AW which is a camera backpack but most of my hiking is 1/2 day trips, so I only need to add some water and a snack or two. I went with the bigger backpack because I sometimes take my medium format film system (Mamiya 645) instead of digital and it needs the space.

Most of us have gone through several backpacks trying to find the "best" one. I'm still looking for the "ideal" camera bag!

Tamrac Anvil 17 Pro Camera Backpack
price: US$ 189.95
You will find lots of organization options in this backpack. It delivers multiple compartments for camera gear along with plenty of pockets and attachments points for accessories.

A backpack that fits me perfectly is uncomfortable and too heavy for my wife and "meh" for my son. You really need to go someplace you can try things on, see how it fits, how it wears. Plus, your idea of "hiking" and someone else's definition could be totally different in terms of capabilities.

My best advice--find a camera insert (usually about $30-$45) that fits the body and lens that you will likely be hiking with (most inserts can be adjusted but if you're bringing that 600mm lens for birding than it creates unique challenges). Once you've got an insert, go to REI or another good outdoor gear store and find a backpack that works for the kind of hikes you're talking about, will carry the gear you need and see if it will accommodate your camera insert. It will probably cost you less then buying a camera backpack of similar size and capability, will be more flexible, and won't have a "camera bag" brand on the back which invites thieves.

Additionally, most hiking backpacks will have straps on the top or bottom to accommodate a sleeping pad. The camelback bladder is the tricky part. I'm not aware of any camera backpacks that handle that (though I'm sure some do). Frankly, I'd rather have any water or bladder separate from my camera gear.

When I use to have the Canon 70D and nine lenses the best bag I had was the Lowepro 400AW. Plenty of room for so many lenses and camera, tripod on the side strap and room for all other bits you might need, plus you can get to the camera without taking the Backpack off your back and they are quite cheap too, I payed about £89 for mine new.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back