Seeking Recommendations for Camera Backpack

shutterbug883

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey forum members,
I'm gearing up for an international trip and in need of some advice on a new backpack camera bag. Currently rocking a Kata, but I'm running out of space. Planning to carry my DSLR with a 105 mm lens attached, two extra lenses, a flash, and my trusty laptop.

Since I'll be chaperoning a university trip, I need something easy to carry. Any recommendations that won't break the bank? Looking to stay under $300 – gotta stick to that teacher salary budget.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hey forum members,
I'm gearing up for an international trip and in need of some advice on a new backpack camera bag. Currently rocking a Kata, but I'm running out of space. Planning to carry my DSLR with a 105 mm lens attached, two extra lenses, a flash, and my trusty laptop.

Since I'll be chaperoning a university trip, I need something easy to carry. Any recommendations that won't break the bank? Looking to stay under $300 – gotta stick to that teacher salary budget.

Thanks in advance for your help!

What model, size is your Kata pack?

I would look at the Lowepro and Think Tank line of packs. I have three different Lowepro packs. They are quite nice. It just depends on how large you want it.

First, the single biggest piece of advice to offer on a camera backpack is: do NOT buy anything without trying it on first. 100 TPG folks could all recommend a specific backpack or sling--and then you could discover it doesn't work with your shoulders. Or throws your balance off.

Second, here's a suggestion: buy a good daypack that will hold a laptop and then add an insert (like Timbuktu) that will hold the camera gear. For international trips, I'm big on avoiding backpacks and bags that scream "EXPENSIVE CAMERA GEAR INSIDE ME!" Seriously--you can get good inserts that will hold a body with lens, 2 other lens (especially if they're smaller or wide-angle lens) and a speed light and pay maybe $30-40 and you avoid a camera logo. That also means if you can't find the camera bag you love near by you, you can still go to REI or some other outdoor store and try on a daypack that you love and go with that.

Third, just generally in terms of camera bags and carrying stuff: the most comfortable messenger bag I've found that will handle everything you've said plus a 14 inch laptop and more is a Thinktank. Amazing weight distribution and a great shoulder strap. Big box stores will generally carry a range of Lowepros so that willl be quick and easy to choose between them. If you're looking for budget options that beat Lowepro but aren't a daypack with an insert, then look at Tamrac. Very inexpensive, not real big and you can get models that hold what you are looking to carry.

Good luck and enjoy!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back