Backpack suggestions...

6Speed

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm in need of a new bag, and I'd prefer to go with a backpack type. What is your favorite bag, or which bag do you wish you had?

One of my friends has a lowepro with wheels that can also be worn on your back. I believe that paticular bag comes in at around 250 bucks, so it's just a wee bit out of my price range, but it would be nice to have. :)

Well what is your price range?

I have several Lowepro bags and I can vouch for their quality...top notch.

I have a backpack style bag, the Computrekker AW. It has a slot for a lap top (I don't have one) but it was slightly cheaper than the similar bag without the laptop area. I did look at the one with wheels but it was heavier and since it's a backpack...I didn't think I would need wheels as well. The 'AW' is for All Weather. The fabric is water resistant and it comes with a built-in rain cover that you can pull out when needed. It certainly came in handy when I was in the rain forests of Costa Rica.

Backpack bags are great for hiking or travelling...but otherwise, I find them to be inconvenient. It's not easy to quickly get your gear out...and the way it opens means that you have to lay the bag flat and open it all the way...not very good when you are not in a clean place. I have started to go back to my box like shoulder bags because they are easy to set on the ground and just open the top flap to get at or replace you equipment. Plus, you can set it down in the mud and only the bottom will get dirty. With my backpack bag, if I set it down in the mud and opened it...the straps would be on the bottom...in the mud.

They do have smaller backpack bags...with the camera area at the bottom and a general storage area above that. I found these to be too small for my gear though.

If you can, get into a well stocked store and try them out. It's hard to judge these things without seeing & holding them.

I have a Tamrac Expedition 5 and it's great. I like the backpack style better than the shoulder or sling types, personal preference. I don't find the backpack to be at all inconvenient. Not sure what gear you have but the Expedition 5 holds my DSLR body with a 70-200mm VR, 28-70mm f/2.8, (either one mounted) a 50mm, a teleconverter, flash, Omni-bounce, there's room for at least one more lens. There is a ton of space for memory cards, batteries, cell phone, etc. You can strap a tripod to it as well. Well built, comfortable straps, good padding and the inside changes around easily to handle new/different gear. Think it was around $130 - $150 at B&H.

I agree 100% with what Mike said. I just happen to use mostly Tamrac bags, of different sizes. A Pro 8 and a Pro 12, both for different systems, both are box type. I do have a Tamrac expediton 3 that I use for a car camera bag. It's relatively small but easily holds a Canon F1 w/70-210 attached and a 50mm prime with enough room for film and whatever. I believe I paid about $ 60.00 for it. If you go to a store to try them out, make sure you bring your camera with your primary lens attached to see how easy, or not, it is to get out.

I agree with Mike as well backpack style bags are very inconvenient if your changing lens or gear a lot. They are great from transporting alot of gear to a place though. I would look into an over the shoulder style bag, Much better accesability.

Thanks guys. I am looking to spend around 150.00 max. I could probably wait a month or two and buy a more expensive one.

My main concern is that I've always been the type of person who tries to find the cheapest deal, and in turn, many times end up re-buying better equipment down the road, thus wasting money. I've learned my lesson now, and I'd rather just fork over the extra $ from the get-go and get equip that will last...

I'm working on starting a photog business on the side, so I'm looking at buying equipment slowly as I get paid for small shoots I'm doing now.

I guess I like the backpack style b/c I do a lot of walking with my stuff, and figured the pack style is most comfortable...?

I would say that yes, the backpacks are more comfortable...but very inconvenient for professional work...unless you have to hike to your shoot. Again, it's the way you have to set it down and basically lay it out...a top opening bag would be much better...IMO.

Mikes right, it all depends on what you want to do, if your a portrait photographer, a backpack can be deemed useless, but if your a sports or landscape photographer, like myself, I find it to be perfect. I use a Cyberpack 8 by Tamrac for my digital, and a Expedition 3 for my 35mm. Both are great bags and I absolutely love them.

Most reactions

Back