Backpacking in thailand - what to bring!

nagoshua

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I plan to go backpacking for 3 months later this year across Thailand and Malaysia (ill be sure to keep everyone posted with lots of uber pics!) I know a few people who have gone before and they have said that the locals will really wanna get their hands on my 30D when they see it.

One of the main points in going is to get pictures, but i dont really fancy getting stabbed for my camera. I was just wondering will any camera insurance company mail out a new camera for me? or new equipment that get stolen or damaged.

What do you guys suggest? I was considering getting a small bridge camera or a good P+S but this wont have the versatility of my dslr and i reckon ill hate myself for not bringing it but ill hate myself if my pride and joy gets stolen too! If i do get a P+S ill need RAW capabilities without the super slow saving time most raw capable point and shoots have.

Im also worried about space for my pics... i considered bringing a film slr. I was gonna bring my macbook.. but thats unrealistic as id have to buy like a million new batteries to keep it going between charges. Is there many internet cafes in thailand? because burning DVD's or CDs and mailing them home is gonna be the easiest way to keep my precious pictures safe.

Any ideas as to a small, lightweight yet sturdy tripod? Nd what camera gear should i bring, im trying to keep it to a minimum because ill be carrying it all on my back for months. Has anyone been backpacking to asia before? Any advice, anecdotes or ideas are very welcome because im just plain stuck on this one!

I would just have a backpack that you can put those small master lock on all the zippers. So have your main stuff locked up while walking around....And for your camera I would bring the DSLR bur make sure you are wearing the strap around your neck the whole time. Whats the point on going on an amazing trip without bringing your best gear?

You should be able to find power outlets there at a hotel or random who knows where so just bring some adapters...I would also suggest looking into solar panel chargers for your camear battery or even the laptop (they are getting pretty cheap and do really work)

Get travel insurance and just be sure that they will cover your camera gear.

The way most travel insurance works is that you make the claim when you get back home, so getting them to mail you new gear is highly unlikely!

That said, who knows, maybe there someone out there is providing this type of service.

As to traveling with expensive equipment, just use your common sense. Keep it out of sight when your not using it and around your neck when you are. This is where it can be handy to have a camera bag that doesn't look like a camera bag, or to be able to put your camera bag into your main pack. That way when you enter lodgings (or anywhere else) your not going to be getting anyones undue attention.

I completely agree with eravedesigns, whats the point of having the equipment if you're not going to use it in such an exciting environment?! You will be kicking yourself silly at the opportunities missed if you don't have your DSLR!

Oh, and have a great time! :)

It's Asia....
Pack heat!

Seriously, from some of the stories I've heard...I wouldn't wanna fight for my camera over there unless I was packing...

But if they want your camera, they'll get it. Most likely a slice to the strap with a knife, and just run off with the camera.

That's not to scare you...just telling you...if you run into someone who wants it bad enough...they'll have it.

Just be careful. Don't make your camera bag look to camera-ish, and make sure it doesn't look shiny and brand spankin new. Keep the camera away if you think it's a dangerous place, and use a P+S...and then when you're in a better place, then use your DSLR.

Personally I'd bring a wide angle of your choise, 50mm, a 70-200 or 70-300, a Macro...and a speedlite. That should cover ANYTHING you need to shoot, really.

Oh, and if you have a teleconverter...toss that in for good measure.

Then the tripod is your choice...perhaps a monopod with little feet would be a good option since you're worried about weight.

yeah i suppose ill just take the risk and bring my DLSR. I was thinking of getting a monopod but a tripod will have a lot more advantages, im sure the sky will look amazing at night in remote locations, also thunderstorms if there are any.

Thanks for your advice!

Ask The_Traveler. He's been through there extensively IIRC.

Most reactions

Back