What's new

Bag Suggestions? Details inside. Bare with me. (:

Markw

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Jul 25, 2008
Messages
4,057
Reaction score
230
Location
Baltimore
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello everyone! If you don't want to read it all, the important parts are in bold.

After a long time using messenger-style bags, my scoliosis is really starting to become a problem. My current bag holds all of the gear in my signature (besides the N65), is sitting on my left shoulder, pulling to the right because of the messenger-type style. So, it looks like I'm in the market for a backpack-style bag. The bag will be used mainly for trekking around in the woods, up hills, climbing, etc. So it should be fairly durable. I need something that's not going to fall apart, but will also hold all of the gear in my signature, plus an R1 kit (2-3x SB-R200) and a D60 body if possible. I'm hoping that the even distribution of the weight will help my back during those long walks. I'm looking to pay under $251 if possible. I'd like it to be black, but it's not a necessity. I don't really like the style of bag that the bottom half is where the gear is kept, and the rest is just for odds and ends.

Thanks!
Mark
 
I was using the Lowepro 300 Flipside... that one might be a bit small for you.. but it is a very nice bag. I recently let my girlfriend have that after she fell in love with it... and upgraded to the Flipside 400... a good bit larger and has a hip support system. Inexpensive bag.. but really nice. It will also hold 2 32oz bottles of water for hiking. The 400 would hold all your gear, and the hip support system would take a lot of the load off your back. Black is an option!

There are a lot of choices on the market.. and many more expensive options too. My suggestion would be order from Amazon, if they carry what you want to try.... if you don't like it, return it.
 
I'll be ordering from either Amazon or BHphoto. I get a student discount from there. :D

Note taken.

Mark
 
Here is what I often fit into my 400...

D7000 with 70-200 2.8 attached with hood
24-70 2.8 with hood
10-24 UWA with hood
50mm 1.4 Sigma with hood (when I pack it this tight.. sometimes I throw all of the hoods into a small mesh bag and clip it on the outside to the tripod strap)
100mm Macro
SB-900 flash
2 pocketwizards
Black Rapid strap
Pen lens cleaner
Rocket blower
case with 3 77mm filters in it

1 or 2 32oz bottles of water

I usually throw my Giottos CF tripod on back or my monopod...

Not light, but have done 10 mile hikes with it comfortably, or worn it all day at an event...
 
I have am a fan of a company called Think Tank. I have two of there bags that I really like. 1st one is a streetwalker & the next is the streetwalker hard drive. I believe there is also a streetwalker pro that is in between size of the two bags I have. They are all backpacks.
 
Maybe there's another answer...have you added what I CALL A "HIP STRAP" to your current bag??? You know, a wide strap that goes around your hip, and puts some of the weight of the bag onto the hip on the side opposite the bag? I really like to have a shoulder-type bag with a hip strap to distribute the weight, and it also kid of keeps the bag "in place", and where it is supposed to be.
 
Maybe there's another answer...have you added what I CALL A "HIP STRAP" to your current bag??? You know, a wide strap that goes around your hip, and puts some of the weight of the bag onto the hip on the side opposite the bag? I really like to have a shoulder-type bag with a hip strap to distribute the weight, and it also kid of keeps the bag "in place", and where it is supposed to be.

Good call! That is similar to what the Lowepro 400 has.. a basic backpacking Hip support... takes the load off of the shoulders.
 
Thanks Derrel. But this bag won't be a substitute. It will be an addition. I will still keep the bag I have now for the times when I don't want a backpack. I will look into a waist strap for my current bag too, though.

Thanks for that link, Gryphon. I will definitely look into the what seems like millions of bags seen there. I'll report back. :wink:

Mark
 
Too small. I'll be posting my list of considerations shortly.

Mark
 
Last edited:
So these are the models I've been thinking about. What do you think?

Tenba Shootout Backpack, Large(Black)

Kata Pro-Light Bug-205 PL Backpack

Lowepro Pro Runner 350 AW Backpack or Lowepro Pro Runner 450 AW Backpack

Kata Pro-Light Bumblebee-220 PL Backpack (this one's looking pretttyyy good to me.)

Mark

EDIT: Forgot to add. My current bag is the Lowepro Nova 200. It holds everything in my signature. I also have the Tamrac 5612 Pro 12, that holds all of my attachments and add-ons that don't get carried along everywhere I go.
 
Last edited:
..
 
Well, I clicked and looked at all 4 backpacks...I dunno...I have a LowePro backpack that holds a small laptop and 25 pounds of gear once Quantum batteries are added to the mix, including a BIG d-slr with mounted 300/4 or 70-200/2.8, a flash, and five to seven lenses, depending on lens length and whether I use rear lens caps taped together or not...and it is a massive PITA to shoot out of...it's for getting stuff onto an airplane, as far as I am concerned...totally useless for actually shooting out of, unless of course I just take it off, and place it on the ground, and use it as a lens-changing station...so, I guess the comment is to pick the bag you think looks best for transporting things in, or which has a feature or two that YOU like...bag selection is a lot like suit selection--very personal. I would say look for one that does your most-critical carrying; for example, carrying a 70-200/2.8 or 300/4 or 180 macro mounted demands the fairly typical "large T-shaped compartment" layout in most cases. I dunno...I do not think most people can be of much help in selecting camera bags...just such a personal choice...
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom