Bald Eagle Spotting

AirVenture

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Well there's not a lot aircraft spotting to do in winter, so I decided to try my hand bald eagles. There are dozens of bald eagles in the area. I usually see them as I cross the mississippi everyday. The park I shot these pictures from was appropriately named eagle point park. I was really stretching the limit of of my 300mm lens. Most are taken at 300mm and cropped down.

It seems that I get a ghosting effect at this range. It appears as a glow around the edges of contrasty figures. Any idea why this happens?

Enjoy! ~Brett :)

This was a lucky grab!
102812595_98ce2bdeec_o.jpg

You can see the ghosting along the tail of the bird, I edited out some if it around the head and body.
102812560_df9c42a406_o.jpg

102812624_16ab7892f2_o.jpg

102812698_674618db64_o.jpg

Is the bird really that close to the people? Looks like it's 20 feet or so above them. No idea about the ghosting, but I still think the shots look great. Number 2s my favorite.

looks like you were in the right place at the right time! nice work!

#1 is great! I would try it in B&W just to see. No idea on the ghosting, great shots though!

Jimee said:
Is the bird really that close to the people?

It's not quite as close as it looks. The shot was taken looking down from about 100ft above. The eagle may have been more than 30ft away from those guys. I didn't even notice them until i looked at my pictures.

Thanks for all the comments. If I have time later this week I want to head down to the rivers edge (where those guys were working) to see if I can get some shots of them flying over the open water. I got a picture of one snagging a fish, but I was so far away it didn't turn out well.

Thanks again,
-Brett :)

Most reactions

Back