Band Photography - Beginner

Reed029

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all,
I've recently taken up the hobby of photographing gigs of local bands. I really want to try and make a side career out of this and I'm looking to purchase a better camera. I've done the research, but would like opinions as to what the best camera is for what I can afford. My budget is $300-$500.

Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks!

I do this a bit myself. What sort of camera are you looking to use ? I'll assume digital, but the principles would be the same for film. The lens you choose is just as important as the camera itself, and for gig photography (rubbish lighting, lots of movement, flash not always allowed) a 50mm prime lens that can open up to a reasonable aperture is in my opinion a good start. That basically means that you can use higher shutter speeds in poor light (though this affects the depth of field meaning that only some things in the picture will be in focus). A prime lens is one of fixed focal length (that is not a zoom). So, to get more or less in frame, you'll have to physically move closer or further away from the stage.

I'm not sure of prices in dollars but it sounds that you could get something like a Nikon D40x or D50 with a 50mm f/1.8 for the money. Some places do packages similar to this, or you can take the zoom lens that comes with it and buy the 50 later. Other brands like Canon, Sony and many others will do similar cameras and lenses. Please take the time to shop around and read up however, because this is only my opinion and I am fairly new to all this myself.

Hope that helps and hasn't confused things !

The info does help, thank you. I'm definitely looking to go digital because film would be way more expensive (which I can't afford just yet).

So far, I've decided on just buying a camera to start and no extra lenses or anything just yet. I want to get a feel for the whole process before I dive in that much.

Thanks again!

Thoes are pretty good. The one thing that is not so good is the high noise. You might want to play arround with Noise Ninja to combat that. Other than that, just keep practicing.

Thanks for the tip, but the link isn't working.

Edit: Nevermind

I don't think that they actually have thier own website, but try here...

just saw your edit....:wink:

Not to be overcritical but try to get away from standard band photography. Upclose shots of lead singers and guitar players get old fast and seem to be 90% of the band photography I see. Go for a new angle and see whatworks, try going wide or do something interesting with D.O.F If your just getting into it now is a great time to developyour own style rather than just follow the typical stuff that has already been done.

You're not being overly critical at all. You're absolutely right. Being new, I think it's good to have those kinds of thoughts in my mind as well.
I appreciate the advice. :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back