What's new

Band Photogs - Would love your comments...

Oh hey wow, that really adds just a bit more pop to it. If I am seeing it right you brightened just her, and I think you also sharpened it a little? Am I seeing that right?

EDIT: Actually I just looked again... did you just pump the contrast up a bit?

Thanks for taking the time to do that!

Two selective curves adjustments, one on face her with an upper mid tones boost, one on the background with the lower mid tones pulled down. No sharpening, I think what you're seeing there is the increase in contrast from the curves adjustments increasing apparent sharpness.
 
I really liked it, all because of her expression.... i am least bothered about any distraction ... if analysed, it is not the guitar, but the face of the male guitarist that is blown out.... that guitar had many white part which appears to be blown i think ...and i too believe we should not dogmatically object blow -outs; sometimes they have creative applications and implications too ;)
 
What I'm trying to say is that the guitarist in the background does nothing to help the image, in my opinion. He's way too close the the lady and gives it a clustered sort of feel. If the two were spaced out a little bit more, we'd have a different story. If you were to move back a meter and one to the left, you'd have a professional-like photograph.
 
Last edited:
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #19
What I'm trying to say is that the guitarist in the background does nothing to help the image, in my opinion. He's way too close the the lady and gives it a clustered sort of feel. If the two were spaced out a little bit more, we'd have a different story. If you were to move back a meter and one to the left, you'd have a professional-like photograph.

Ok, but I wouldn't have gotten the framing of her face as I have it here.

I'm not arguing your point, exactly... but what you're suggesting is literally a different image, and while not (perhaps) as "distracted", would not have been as powerful. See what I mean?
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #20
I really liked it, all because of her expression.... i am least bothered about any distraction ... if analysed, it is not the guitar, but the face of the male guitarist that is blown out.... that guitar had many white part which appears to be blown i think ...and i too believe we should not dogmatically object blow -outs; sometimes they have creative applications and implications too ;)

Thanks,man!
 
What I'm trying to say is that the guitarist in the background does nothing to help the image, in my opinion. He's way too close the the lady and gives it a clustered sort of feel. If the two were spaced out a little bit more, we'd have a different story. If you were to move back a meter and one to the left, you'd have a professional-like photograph.

Bold - Sure it does. It changes the story completely.

I disagree with all points you make. Especially saying that this isn't a professional photograph.
The term professional is so vague, and there is way worse in the professional realm.
 
Guys, I'm just trying to help the OP take better photographs of bands... I'm a paid music photographer and I've been in the live music industry for a few years... I'm no seasoned pro but what I'm saying isn't coming out of my ass... Didn't mean any harm to anyone just giving honest CC that I hope helps in a positive way.

Also:

but what you're suggesting is literally a different image,

Exactly, it doesn't hurt to change things up for future shoots. There's always room for improvement... And by that I mean emphasizing more on the emotion of the bassists' rather than also having the guitarist pretty noticeable in the foreground. Not saying get rid of the guitarist, but just make him less important, as it will still give the image an emotional feel, but with more emphasis on the face of the bassist.
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #24
ginoo said:
Guys, I'm just trying to help the OP take better photographs of bands... I'm a paid music photographer and I've been in the live music industry for a few years... I'm no seasoned pro but what I'm saying isn't coming out of my ass... Didn't mean any harm to anyone just giving honest CC that I hope helps in a positive way.

Also:

Exactly, it doesn't hurt to change things up for future shoots. There's always room for improvement... And by that I mean emphasizing more on the emotion of the bassists' rather than also having the guitarist pretty noticeable in the foreground. Not saying get rid of the guitarist, but just make him less important, as it will still give the image an emotional feel, but with more emphasis on the face of the bassist.

I really appreciate you doing it, too (and I appreciate people's empassioned defense of the image :). I'm just not totally latching onto how I get the emotion I have here in this particular situation while changing the composition... However... It may well be my inexperience with the band stuff... Which, of course, is why I asked for comments.

I know it's a good photograph... What I wanted to learn more about is how it stacked up as a good band photograph.

I'm learning. :)
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #25
I just want to add, when I suggested a tighter crop, I meant bring the right of the frame in with out effecting the bottom half.
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #27
I just want to add, when I suggested a tighter crop, I meant bring the right of the frame in with out effecting the bottom half.

Yes, totally with you on that one... only reason I didn't is because I have some sort of weird neurosis about changing the aspect ratio of images. :lol:
 
I just want to add, when I suggested a tighter crop, I meant bring the right of the frame in with out effecting the bottom half.

Yes, totally with you on that one... only reason I didn't is because I have some sort of weird neurosis about changing the aspect ratio of images. :lol:

Yeah I hear you. I'm the same way to be honest. I refuse to crop outside of a standard ratio most of the time.
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #29
I just want to add, when I suggested a tighter crop, I meant bring the right of the frame in with out effecting the bottom half.

Yes, totally with you on that one... only reason I didn't is because I have some sort of weird neurosis about changing the aspect ratio of images. :lol:

Yeah I hear you. I'm the same way to be honest. I refuse to crop outside of a standard ratio most of the time.

Sweet. I'm not alone in my madness. :)


It's really sorta silly since I don't put any picture in a "standard frame" anyway (all custom sized)... but... it still hurts. :lol:
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom