Band photos C&C

fokker

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took these the other night at a gig I went to. I was using my 5D with the 50mm 1.4 and 70-200 2.8 IS. I debated the necessity and burden factor of lugging the gripped 5D and that big heavy lens plus a speedlite through the crowd, but after seeing how sharp some of the photos turned out it was worth the extra effort.

Here are a few of my favourites from the night. Most were shot at ISO1600 and came out surprisingly good in terms of noise. I even shot a few at 3200 ISO and they are completely usable with a bit of noise reduction. Note pics are hosted on facebook so quality is not optimum. Comments appreciated.

34413_505690786507_205600195_30491102_8057743_n.jpg

74302_505690811457_205600195_30491103_7059454_n.jpg

67231_505690851377_205600195_30491106_1815995_n.jpg

72434_505690896287_205600195_30491109_2758645_n.jpg

71590_505690651777_205600195_30491094_6972963_n.jpg

Very nice! I dont really have any c&c but pics look great.

sharp photos...4 is definately my fav.

Nice pics fokker, 2 grabs me for some reason, easy to look at, nice colour.

That watermark though, umm no, doesnt work for me sorry.

That watermark though, umm no, doesnt work for me sorry.

Hmm interesting. It's the first time I've actually bothered using a watermark as I'm going to try to sell some of the photos to the band and I put the whole set up on facebook so didn't want them getting pinched without me at least getting the credit. I thought it was fairly subtle and non-invasive into the photos? Maybe not.

Well, if you're going to have a watermark, it should be readable at a glance. You're doesn't have the right pop to it in the photos. Something like this:

2qxqalv.png

Would work well, or if you were to invert that. Although, this may just be personal taste speaking.

Your photos came out nice, I just picked up a 5D today and I'm excited to do some low light shooting with it since it handles noise like a beast.

PS. Sorry I designed that at like 300 ppi.

Yeah its something I noticed straight away, the font, the embossing and the size relative to the image.

Mine has evolved to be much smaller, and I take a few seconds to consider placement, opacity and I change the colour (usually white thru dark grey) to suit what its placed over, and never placed over an important part of the image.

I want the watermark visible, but not obvious, easily legible, and hopefully does not negatively effect the image overall.

I just have a PNG file that I copy and paste into a new layer, add an inverted layer and link it to the watermark image only, and play with both opacity sliders until it looks right, takes me anywhere from 10-45 seconds to do.

Control freak and perfectionist shining through right there, lol.

fokker0uz70.jpg

I added a quick one, much smaller, less intrusive but easier to read. Just an example of how I would usually do it.

Yeah its something I noticed straight away, the font, the embossing and the size relative to the image.

Mine has evolved to be much smaller, and I take a few seconds to consider placement, opacity and I change the colour (usually white thru dark grey) to suit what its placed over, and never placed over an important part of the image.

I want the watermark visible, but not obvious, easily legible, and hopefully does not negatively effect the image overall.

I just have a PNG file that I copy and paste into a new layer, add an inverted layer and link it to the watermark image only, and play with both opacity sliders until it looks right, takes me anywhere from 10-45 seconds to do.

fokker0uz70.jpg

I added a quick one, much smaller, less intrusive but easier to read. Just an example of how I would usually do it.

You're right about placement, but these were all just batch processed - I don't really have the patience to individually do 25 or 50 in photoshop, I just use a lightroom plugin on export which puts the watermark in the same place every time. The watermark was just something I threw together quickly without really putting a lot of thought into it, like I say it's the first time I've done it so it will probably change.
I really like the design tyler did, but I probably won't use it because it would be a bit lame since I didn't design it myself :lol:

These came out well but i would ditch the flash for band photography

I was really struggling to get anything good without the flash, even when I was using my 50mm 1.4 at ISO3200 I was having trouble...

EDIT: Or were you meaning that the flash would piss off the band members after taking 300 photos of them? :lol:

fokker0uz70.jpg

You're right about placement, but these were all just batch processed - I don't really have the patience to individually do 25 or 50 in photoshop, I just use a lightroom plugin on export which puts the watermark in the same place every time. The watermark was just something I threw together quickly without really putting a lot of thought into it, like I say it's the first time I've done it so it will probably change.
I really like the design tyler did, but I probably won't use it because it would be a bit lame since I didn't design it myself :lol:

You can use it man! I made it for you. Haha.

Most reactions

Back