Camera upgrade from Canon T2i / 550D

t.e.t.r.a

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've been using that body for almost 4 years. I've been quite happy with it as a step up from compacts, but as I moved from mainly static subjects (landscapes, night) to more dynamic ones (lifestyle portraits, events) I've hit its limits in regard to focusing speed and handling: hardly customizable, too much menu diving, and changing manual mode settings too cumbersome.

My current lens lineup is: Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 (somehow I find this range very versatile on APS-C), Canon EF-S 10-18mm IS, 50mm f/1.8 and the kit lenses EF-S 18-55 IS, EF-S 55-250mm IS. All relatively cheap lenses, but I still wouldn't want to switch to another dSLR brand completely without very compelling reasons.

I was considering upgrading to a 7D Mark II for about $1450, taking advantage of a cashback offer that expires in a few weeks. Apparently this has the best autofocus in the APS-C lineup. The weather sealing would also be handy for the eventual once-in-a-lifetime safari ;p

I'm aware of the relatively low image quality of the 7DII, but it's still an improvement over my current camera. Nowadays I get usable shots up to ISO 3200, if focus is on my side. Also, I haven't been spoiled by a touch-tilt-LCD. I'm not interested in video, either.

Clearly, a 5D Mark III would be more versatile especially for indoor events and a nice camera to grow into. But then I would need to budget for at least a full-frame tele zoom (and probably many more EF lenses in the future). Another downside is the reduced range. For that money I'd rather get the low-light king Sony A7s plus a lens or two. The cheaper 6D wouldn't solve my focus speed issues. I don't know if it's the right point for me to invest into the full-frame experience.

Alternatively, I was looking at the Sony a6000, which has one of the best APS-C sensors out there and can take Canon lenses without losing autofocus. It would allow me to explore other subjects such as street photography, and in general improve portability. I tried a m4/3 for this purpose (Olympus E-PM1), but without viewfinder and focus peaking it wasn't easy to get the picture. A Fuji x100 series or a Panasonic GX7 + 20mm f/1.7 is another titillating option.

So the question is: should I pursue the APS-C dSLR route and add to my current gear? or should I accept the limitations of my dSLR and get a mirrorless system to complement it and explore other photographic situations? or should I invest in a better sensor for low-light situations and general image quality?

Please note that I don't have the possibility of returning the gear after trying it out. Thanks a lot for your suggestions.

The 7D mk II really isn't designed for the portrait/event shooting that you are looking to get into. That's not saying that it can't do it or even do it well, it's just more for sports and wildlife photography.

Moving to the 6D or the 5D mk III (full frame) would most likely be a better option for the type of shooting you are wanting to do. I am not 100% sure that the focus speed that you are talking about wouldn't be improved by different glass.

Getting either the 6d or 5d would be a good choice and then selecting something like an 85 f/1.8 and/or a 70-200 f/2.8 (both of these used to keep costs down) would be something to consider.

Well a 60d would have similar image quality with a better focus system due all points being cross type, an original 7 d has same sensor with much better focus system. If picture quality is good enough the 2 options I mentioned can still be got new online at smallish prices, but both should improve your hit rate

@ Ron
Let me clarify a bit: by "lifestyle portraits" I mean candid shots of people moving (this is kind of like wildlife ;) as opposed to controlled studio portraits; by "events" I mean mostly indoor performances such as dance and theater, but also outdoor artistic and sports events. In both cases I need good range and autofocus speed, and maybe tracking. I read that the 7DII focuses pretty fast in low light.

I should definitely give your lens suggestions a try. However, in my experience I had trouble getting more than one subject in focus with a wide aperture >f/4 unless they're lined up in the same focal plane.

@ jaomul
Those bodies were never an option, are you suggesting they're better than the 7dII?

I would take a 5D mk III over a 7D mk II, absolutely. Is the focus system on the 7D mk II better than the 5D mk II, yes it is. For me I would take the full frame over the crop sensor any day. I would tend to take the 7D mk II over the 6D for focusing systems but I shoot football and love the high fps. However, I do have a friend that shoots highschool football very successfully with a 6D and a 70-200mm f/2.8L.

I have been considering which of these 3 that I want to move to next and keep changing my mind. (not ready to buy yet anyway). At times I want the 5D mk III and other times I am sold on the 7D mk II. I have even considered getting a 7D mk II and a 6D (for about the same money) so that I could do portrait work with the 6D and sports with the 7DmkII (best of both worlds) but not sure that I could sell that to my financier (wife).

Glad to know we're in a similar boat.

I've been called for some paid gigs recently, but most of my work is personal, and it's hard to estimate the intangible 'return on investment' in the gear in order to make a rational purchasing decision. The combo 6D + 7DII is at about the price point of the 5DIII. To me the only disadvantages of the latter are (1) non weather-sealed, and (2) no use for my EF-S lenses, and it needs longer and more expensive lenses. If I had to buy a complete set of full-frame lenses then I'd rather go with a new mirrorless system like the A7s. The only reason I started this thread is the short window of opportunity for the rebate. I wouldn't pay more than $1500 for the 7DII. Not sure how fast it will depreciate in the next half year, as I don't see Canon releasing another APS-C flagship for a while.

What's the body and glass that you use for shooting football?

I understand what you are saying. I will say this, the better glass will help a LOT with your images. I was skeptical about that until I moved up. I shoot Football with a 70-200mm f/4L now but I am looking at moving up to the 70-200mm f/2.8L at the start of this next season (august) but I'll have to see.

I understand what you are saying. I will say this, the better glass will help a LOT with your images. I was skeptical about that until I moved up. I shoot Football with a 70-200mm f/4L now but I am looking at moving up to the 70-200mm f/2.8L at the start of this next season (august) but I'll have to see.
Went to a hockey game 2 weeks ago, shot it with my Tami 70-200mm fully open at 2.8 and got amazing results, if I had to shoot at f4 I would have to bump up ISO to a point that grain and loss of detail would be an issue.
You will love shooting at f2.8 in sports events :)

The Tamron should be a competitive alternative to the equivalent Canon if you don't need the weather sealing.

After more research I'm now leaning towards the 70D instead of the 7DII as I can't justify the extra spend. It too should withstand the occasional bad weather and rough handling, and it has features that make it more versatile for general photography and probably good enough for action (pretty fast AF, all cross type like jaomul remarked about the 60D).

With the leftover coins I'm considering getting an 85mm but I'm torn between the Canon and the Samyang manual focus lens, the latter being totally useless for action but optically a bargain.

EDIT: I eventually opted for the 70D and am quite pleased with the extra features. I also got the 85mm f/1.8 as suggested. I have yet to test the camera for action shots in the tele range and in low light, as well as the weather resistance. The flippy screen does seem a bit flimsy, I hope it's strong enough.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back