Band Photos..need advise

lc1102002

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm doing a photoshoot for a rock/metal band. its 3 guys. one is exceptionally skinny and the other 2 guys are big/wide. they're all about the same height. any suggestions on posing that will be most flattering. thinking the skinny guy more in front facing head on. the other guys slightly behind him at 3/4 angles. I just would like to even out their size differences in the photo.

I'd have them play a set and just shoot them as they are. If it is for a cover, then you will need to work out a concept and a location and then go from there with what works, but try lots of different set ups as far as their proximity to one another.

Absolutely. No posing. Shoot them making music.
Going to disagree with this; it might work, but often you end up "losing" large parts of people behind instruments, especially drums & keyboards. Have a meeting with them beforehand, ask them to show you ideas that they like and try and get a feeling for "who they are" musically. If you do decide to go with a "playing" look, then I would pose them that way so that you can actually see everyone to best advantage.

Absolutely. No posing. Shoot them making music.
Going to disagree with this; it might work, but often you end up "losing" large parts of people behind instruments, especially drums & keyboards. Have a meeting with them beforehand, ask them to show you ideas that they like and try and get a feeling for "who they are" musically. If you do decide to go with a "playing" look, then I would pose them that way so that you can actually see everyone to best advantage.

It would depend on what we have as a goal. I agree with you if you are after a portrait. My assumption is that he was after good photos of a band.

The guys already have many photos of them playing their instruments. they're really looking for a group portrait with no instruments and props.

Most reactions

Back