Band pictures

Phazan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What do you think?? Are these worth $50?

replica4.jpg

replica11.jpg

replica5.jpg

replica8.jpg

replica6.jpg

Personally I don't think they have much value.
Your lens was too slow to capture these situations. Sometimes motion blur can look cool in show photog but not in this sense (IMO)
Your composition needs some work too.

If i were you I'd by a prime with 1.8 or 1.4 for this situation. A short zoom with 2.8
and a book about composition

Thanks, I have a 1.8 lens, but it's 50mm so I didn't use it =/ Also last time I used it for a band, it couldn't autofocus on anything, and the depth of field was too small so I couldn't get anything in focus. I need some money to buy a better, wider one I guess. But thanks for the honesty! :D I appretiate it

Thanks, I have a 1.8 lens, but it's 50mm so I didn't use it =/ Also last time I used it for a band, it couldn't autofocus on anything, and the depth of field was too small so I couldn't get anything in focus. I need some money to buy a better, wider one I guess. But thanks for the honesty! :D I appretiate it

Well, I'm glad you appreciate it. If you can't expose properly with the lens that you have its almost always better to under expose at 2.8 or w/e aperature you can hold steady for.. 1.8 is shallow but managable so I think with some practice you could be using the lens at any venue. In any worst case scenario i'd up my shutter, underexpose a stop and than fix it in raw editor. Any of those options are better than kit lens motion blur IMHO.

Hope I helped!

Adam

EDIT: If you're using the 50 on a crop sensor its understandable that you would shy away from using it as it works out to roughly 70mm.

The only one I somewhat like is #4, but its blown out. I like the blur in the sticks and would of liked a bit closer zoom on the sticks/hand.

But I have to agree that overall, they suffer from the lack of a fast lens. I'm also not a fan of the shooting from the pit look, but that is hard to avoid sometimes with limited space on stage

I use my 50mm all the time for concert shots. I have a fast wide-angle too, but I prefer to get right in on the band members.

I would not charge them for those at all (I have never charged, as I still consider myself practicing); I agree with the criticisms above. I'd head out to as many shows as you can and just shoot, shoot, shoot. You'll get a feel for what you need when. I can get away with a slower lens in some lighting, but I know when I have to have the faster lenses on hand.

If you're interested in checking a couple of my 50mm shots out: Rock anthem on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
actionchurch at Club 19 - 10/19/08 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I like Picture 1 but the motion blur is a bit jerky. ;)

i think the drummer looked cool with the motion blur, but not for the rest. maybe a little flash would have helped also.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back