Band Portrait - CC Please !

HitenNainaney

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Had a chance recently to shoot a portrait for a Dubai based Hard-Rock band.

Here's the end result.

CC welcome :)

Was this all one shot of a composite?

I went to flickr to see a bigger version.
the second dude from the left looks as most prominent there. Was his skin darker then others?

I think it's a good photo for a band

It was a composite of 5 individual images.

I went to flickr to see a bigger version.
the second dude from the left looks as most prominent there. Was his skin darker then others?

I think it's a good photo for a band

Thank you @Mmaria

The guy in the center was the darkest followed by the 1st one from the left then the 2nd from left.

Could you clarify as to how he looks the most prominent ?

okay. I mainly wondered because it appears that between the middle guy's arms the other two were either placed perfectly so there was no overlap, or you forgot to remove the whitespace. I would like to see some of the elbow of the guy on the left and the arm of the guy on the right behind #1's arms just to get an idea of depth. The the two outer guys angled, look on the same plane as well, so it all looks a bit flat. Like right now it looks like the two outer guys and middle guy are slightly in front of the other two. They all could probably also use some burning/shadow effect on them where the other members would be blocking light, to make it look a bit more realistic.

also crazy eyes looks just a bit out of scale.

great job none-the-less. I like the lighting, how did you set it up?

Could you clarify as to how he looks the most prominent ?

just look at his face, he looks like you used burn tool and painted all over his face. hope I explained

If I were to guess, I would say the guy in the center is the "leader" of the band; lead singer, whatever.

The bald guy could be considered most prominent for two reasons that I see right off the bat: He's the only one without hair, and he's the only one not wearing a jacket. If he's not the lead singer, I'll guess he's the drummer.

To me it looks... fine. There's nothing about it that knocks the wind out of me. If I were the band, I think I may be asking "What else did you get?" The composite look just doesn't work for me.

Is there some reason you didn't simply do a group shot? If you did some of those, could we see some?

okay. I mainly wondered because it appears that between the middle guy's arms the other two were either placed perfectly so there was no overlap, or you forgot to remove the whitespace. I would like to see some of the elbow of the guy on the left and the arm of the guy on the right behind #1's arms just to get an idea of depth. The the two outer guys angled, look on the same plane as well, so it all looks a bit flat. Like right now it looks like the two outer guys and middle guy are slightly in front of the other two. They all could probably also use some burning/shadow effect on them where the other members would be blocking light, to make it look a bit more realistic.

also crazy eyes looks just a bit out of scale.

great job none-the-less. I like the lighting, how did you set it up?

Thanks Braineack, I too thought about getting to see more of the left & right of centers arms & elbows from behind the main mans. but i stopped short of making that edit because i thought maybe i was over thinking it. But yes, that's something i'll kep in mind next time.

I did burn all of them a bit on the right-side (from Our POV) of their faces. Though, I will try another edit with the points you've mentioned.

Thanks for that, i've got tons to learn yet!

The lighting was fairly simple, key octa on the right of the subject, and fill with a softbox on the left. (Subjects POV). However I darkened the fill light side a lot more in post.

If I were to guess, I would say the guy in the center is the "leader" of the band; lead singer, whatever.

The bald guy could be considered most prominent for two reasons that I see right off the bat: He's the only one without hair, and he's the only one not wearing a jacket. If he's not the lead singer, I'll guess he's the drummer.

To me it looks... fine. There's nothing about it that knocks the wind out of me. If I were the band, I think I may be asking "What else did you get?" The composite look just doesn't work for me.

Is there some reason you didn't simply do a group shot? If you did some of those, could we see some?

You're right, main-man (vocalist) in the center, the bald guy is the bassist & to the right of the vocalist is the drummer.

Could you explain what i could do further to make the composite work ?

The shoot was in their studio and was initially intended to be individual portraits of the band. A few days later they required a band shot for an editorial, which is why i composited the images together.

Could you explain what i could do further to make the composite work ?

No, not really. I don't care for them, so I don't do them...

A few days later they required a band shot for an editorial, which is why i composited the images together.

Well, for something like that the photo is okay. If I have everyone in a band in the same place at the same time, I'm taking both individual and group shots...

Most reactions

Back