What's new

BANG! An exercise in fun with sound triggers....

Cool shots and the effects are great. What was the shutter speed?

It was on the "bulb" setting. Remote to open, remote to close. The average shutter speed was between 3 to 5 seconds.

Edit....

The thing that made this shoot so cool, interesting, and difficult is that I needed to rely on two different exposures. The exposure of the speedlight (extremely short, about 1/30,000 second or so) and the exposure of the muzzle flash (not as short... about 1/250th sec or so).

To marry the two together was really fun, and somewhat challenging. If the timing wasn't right on the puff of light from the speedlight, the muzzle flash was nowhere near the end of the barrel due to the force of recoil. This can be seen in a couple of the pictures.

For those of you not familiar with high speed photography, it has nothing to do with shutter speed. this is done in a near dark room, so the shutter can be open for long periods of time (5, 10, 15 seconds....) with no real impact on the exposure. The only exposure here were the two mentioned sources.

This makes it even more difficult since the bullet trap that was used was only about 8" across. Not a hard target to hit with the lights on, but in near darkness it could cause some problems. The order of operations was.... trigger man gets sight picture, trigger man gives the OK. I kill the lights, open the shutter on the camera and give the OK to pull the trigger. Trigger man takes his shot, I close the shutter, and turn the lights back on.

Kind of involved. :lol:

But totally worth it. These are probably my favorite shots since I started giving serious thought to photography as a hobby.
 
Last edited:
Hate to restore an old life to thread... especially one of my own, but there is exciting news with these......

People are actually buying prints from me! Not many, and not for a ton of money, but actually willing to exchange cash for my photographs.

This is a first for me..... kind of exciting. :D
 
Is that a pre-lock 586 in the first photo?

I love those wheelers.

Great photos. They look fantastic.

EDIT: just noticed the OP has not been around here in a long time.
 
The 3rd is interesting - is this the bullet trajectory you have with a short barrel gun? ;)
 
This thread is over a year old and haven't seen strad around here in ages....
 
I'm actually kind of glad this thread was bumped. I haven't seen these shots and these are pretty cool.
 
I'm actually kind of glad this thread was bumped. I haven't seen these shots and these are pretty cool.
Me to.There is another forum I am a member of thats computer security related and one thread has been going since 2005 with just under 31,000 replies and over 2 million views.
 
Last edited:
These are excellent. Very well executed! :)
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom