bare bones photo management software?..recommendations?..

spiritdog34

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello my fellow shooters both great and small....I have a couple of questions to which I would gratefully appreciate anyone's input... First off I have a Canon EOS T3i but I do not have the software that came with it and I am wanting to tether it to my laptop I have the USB cord but I was wondering if someone could tell me exactly what I need to download to enable my camera and laptop to interact... Secondly I am looking for a photo management software that is totally free, user-friendly, and is not too cumbersome to my slowish laptop.. Preferably one that will handle Raw as well as JPEG? I have downloaded so many different ones and try them out so far no good...any wise recommendations from someone who a seasoned member of DLSR photo wizardry association?..thanks for your gracious consideration...Your humble apprentice ;-) ...Spiritdog34

My new Canon Rebel T6 said to down load the processing from www.canon.com/icpd. Also the down loaded manual in much more detailed than the one that came with the camera. It is on line also.

There are two Canon programs one to download images to a computer the second to manipulate the image.

I also down loaded GIMP. It is free but pretty extensive.

Good Luck

Take a look at Picasa 3. Handles all kinds of file formats. Is great a organizing images. Has a fairly nice toolkit for image editing.

Take a look at Picasa 3. Handles all kinds of file formats. Is great a organizing images. Has a fairly nice toolkit for image editing.
I use to use picasa but i was informed it was discontinued by google...I will see if i can find that..

BTW, you can always download the software that would have come with your camera. Ever since computers stopped including optical drives, camera makers have made all that software downloadable. Canon's utilities do include software that will let you tether. They have a photo editor. But they don't include anything that does digital asset management (DAM). You'd need something else to handle that.

My favorite tethering app is Kuuvik Capture. But it's only available on mac, only controls Canon cameras, and it isn't free (it's around $100). But it is better than any other tethering software that I've seen or used. They add in features such as focus-peaking (they highlight the edges which have the sharpest focus to make it really easy to control manual focus or know if your auto-focus nailed the spot you most want in tack-sharp focus.) They also let you open multiple magnified windows on the same live-view. This means you select several different spots in the image that you care about and it opens a magnified window that zooms in on just that spot (but you can have several open at the same time). This is really awesome for people who use tilt-shift lenses and want to make sure they have everything razor sharp front to back.

I do not think it supports tethering ... it appears more of a Image Management app, and it does support raw.

BTW, you can always download the software that would have come with your camera. Ever since computers stopped including optical drives, camera makers have made all that software downloadable. Canon's utilities do include software that will let you tether. They have a photo editor. But they don't include anything that does digital asset management (DAM). You'd need something else to handle that.

My favorite tethering app is Kuuvik Capture. But it's only available on mac, only controls Canon cameras, and it isn't free (it's around $100). But it is better than any other tethering software that I've seen or used. They add in features such as focus-peaking (they highlight the edges which have the sharpest focus to make it really easy to control manual focus or know if your auto-focus nailed the spot you most want in tack-sharp focus.) They also let you open multiple magnified windows on the same live-view. This means you select several different spots in the image that you care about and it opens a magnified window that zooms in on just that spot (but you can have several open at the same time). This is really awesome for people who use tilt-shift lenses and want to make sure they have everything razor sharp front to back.

Appreciate your input...I use Windows 10 os...BTW...What is a good site for sharing photos and receiving critique and pointers?...

Most reactions

Back