Basic Color Management Questions

kitjv

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
As a newbie to the realm of color management, I am clawing my way up the steep learning curve. I indulge your patience & appreciate any help you can provide.

I am using Photoshop Elements to post process my images on a MacBook Pro with an external NEC P221W display. The NEC has been calibrated & profiled using the proprietary SpectraView II puck & software. There appears to be 2 issues with which I could use some help.

Issue #1: First I will process an image with PSE on the NEC display. If I drag the image (while still in PSE) to the MacBook Pro's built-in display, the colors tend to be over-saturated & often with a color cast. Is this a problem of the built-in display not being calibrated?

Issue#2: Although I process my images in PSE, I organize & store them in iPhoto '09. If I open an image that I stored in iPhoto, the colors in the image are over-saturated regardless of whether I view them on the built-in display or the NEC display. My question is: what can I do to assure that images processed in PSE will retain the same color balance (if that is the correct term) in iPhoto?

I assume that iPhoto is a color-managed application. If so, is there some tweaking that I need to do?

And, thanks for your patience & any help you can provide.

I use a laptop and a secondary monitor myself. While you can calibrate both displays you can only use one profile that will show up on both monitors. unless your video card has two outputs, but from what i've been told, a laptop only has one. Just be sure to choose the profile for your secondary monitor and work on that one for editing.

I use a laptop and a secondary monitor myself. While you can calibrate both displays you can only use one profile that will show up on both monitors. unless your video card has two outputs, but from what i've been told, a laptop only has one. Just be sure to choose the profile for your secondary monitor and work on that one for editing.

It appears that my MacBook Pro's display & the external display use their own profiles.

1) the laptop display is not calibrated and will show a difference, you should be able to store more than one color profile and load them as needed.

2) i would not assume iPhoto is color managed and if it is, you would need to point it at your profile for it to use it.

1) the laptop display is not calibrated and will show a difference, you should be able to store more than one color profile and load them as needed.

2) i would not assume iPhoto is color managed and if it is, you would need to point it at your profile for it to use it.

If I might ask a remedial question: How do I determine if iPhoto is in fact color-managed? And, if so, how would I "point it at my profile"?

Thanks for your patience.

Most reactions

Back