Basketball tournament action

Kerb, 1/500th is ABSOLUTELY required if you want frozen action and are shooting straight ambient light. Heck, even 1/500th results in blur sometimes.

Sure when they are running straight at you you could freeze their torso with 1/200th. But their swinging arms and legs will still be blurred.

Also shooing from under the basket you get ALOT of lateral motion. Most drives to the basket in hight school actually come from the outside corners, rather than from mid court.

Kerb, 1/500th is ABSOLUTELY required if you want frozen action and are shooting straight ambient light. Heck, even 1/500th results in blur sometimes.

Sure when they are running straight at you you could freeze their torso with 1/200th. But their swinging arms and legs will still be blurred.

Also shooing from under the basket you get ALOT of lateral motion. Most drives to the basket in hight school actually come from the outside corners, rather than from mid court.

There is no such thing as 'Absolutely Required'. Again, I shoot minimal sports but a lot of weddings. You could say that I can't be using an efl of 420mm at 1/10th of a second and get a sharp shot. Except I can and have done it many times.

I'm not saying he should use slower shutter speeds. I'm saying that if he was using glass a prime lens or 2.8 glass, he wouldn't be forced to default to ISO 6400.

In any case, the OP doesn't seem to think the photos have noise or compression artifacts, so it's kind of a moot point anyway.

Kerbouchard said:
There is no such thing as 'Absolutely Required'. Again, I shoot minimal sports but a lot of weddings. You could say that I can't be using an efl of 420mm at 1/10th of a second and get a sharp shot. Except I can and have done it many times.

I'm not saying he should use slower shutter speeds. I'm saying that if he was using glass a prime lens or 2.8 glass, he wouldn't be forced to default to ISO 6400.

In any case, the OP doesn't seem to think the photos have noise or compression artifacts, so it's kind of a moot point anyway.

For sports, to freeze action consistently 1/500th is absolutely required. Anyone who shoots sports knows that this is a rule that isn't really breakable.

But I agree it doesn't matter because the OP doesn't see the issues in his images that have been pointed out.

Most reactions

Back