Baton Rouge Symphony - C&C the set as a whole

Theantiquetiger

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am asking for a critique over all, not just on the images. Feel free to pick one or two to critique if you want. If you are going to critique one, I would rather do one you don't care for or the weakest one.

I was asked to shoot the BRSO's "Mozart on the Lake" at a local plantation, but at the last minute they moved it inside for fear of rain. So instead of getting great shots with a lake and Live Oaks in the background, I had to settle with what I had to work with. I didn't want to use a flash.

Here is a link to the set (more to come next couple days) BRSO Flickr - Photo Sharing

Some of my favorites

brso4 by Chris Campbell, on Flickr

(intentional movement, tripod mounted)
brso1 by Chris Campbell, on Flickr

brso3 by Chris Campbell, on Flickr

brso18 by Chris Campbell, on Flickr

brso26 by Chris Campbell, on Flickr

brso30 by Chris Campbell, on Flickr

brso32 by Chris Campbell, on Flickr

On brso1, I think the blurring on the bassist and the conductor detracts from the picture. Orchestral playing is generally not a fast-motion subject, so I think viewers have an expectation of a clear, crisp image of the musicians.

brso32 would have been stronger if you'd managed to get the same set-up when all of the musicians were playing. Right now only the bassoons are active, so my reaction is kind of "why is every one else even in the picture?" brso3 is stronger since everyone is playing, but both pictures also suffer from having one poor unfortunate soul trying to play from the conductor's arm pit. If you'd stepped to the right a bit so that the male horn player was at the conductor's elbow, it probably wouldn't have looked quite as awkward.

"Orchestral playing is generally not a fast-motion subject"

This was Mozart "party music" (as the conductor called it). It wasn't a slow paced classical piece, more like William Tell's Overture.

I did grab some still images of them as well.

This was a $150 a plate charity event, so I had to shot as I could with out getting in people's way.

Most reactions

Back