Batteries for canon digital rebel?

C_lawgik

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I saw on the canon site digital rebels takeBP-511/512 (lithium ion rechargeable battery) but i cant find these to buy anywhere. Is there a replacement form radioshack or something?

IMO Radio Shack will not have this battery and I they did it would be over priced.

The BP-511 is readily available from online vendors. Both Adorama (see link below) and B&H have them. Don’t forget about generic

Look in this previous thread for links to generic battery dealer
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6707&highlight=battery

And welcome to TPF

Here's what I did:
Buy the Canon Battery Pack ($15-20 or so). It lets you use 4 AA batteries. A lot easier when you're on the job or need to take pictures and are out of batteries. It also has a vertical shutter button. Which is really handy. It also makes your camera look more proffesional

that does not look like a BP-511 to me

This is what mine looks like
bcanbp511x01.gif

Face said:
Here's what I did:
Buy the Canon Battery Pack ($15-20 or so). It lets you use 4 AA batteries. A lot easier when you're on the job or need to take pictures and are out of batteries. It also has a vertical shutter button. Which is really handy. It also makes your camera look more proffesional

I was online pricing stuff for the canon digital rebel and the battery pack for it was $100 us, and it uses two batteries and they were each $50, they wernet AA's.

My battery pack for my canon 2000 uses AA's and it was $50 american brand new *got it cheaper off of ebay*.

So im wondering if your $15-20 quote was for a no name battery pack, or if you got a source for discounted gear?

Im also wondering if the AA part was a mistake, if you were thinking that the battery packs that work for the film rebels would work on the digital rebel? Im not an expert on all of the accessories for cameras so there could be a battery pack version. I just dont see it being $15-20.

FWIW, I shoot a 300D and got a spare battery from Best Buy for like $40 or so. I also went to Roberts Camera (they're local to me in Indy) and got the battery pack that lets you run both batteries and have the vertical shutter release. It was around $115. Well worth it--it's a bit heavier but now I've got those vertical controls (fantastic for portrait work!) and I can run about 10hrs on a single charge.

Shark said:
FWIW, I shoot a 300D and got a spare battery from Best Buy for like $40 or so. I also went to Roberts Camera (they're local to me in Indy) and got the battery pack that lets you run both batteries and have the vertical shutter release. It was around $115. Well worth it--it's a bit heavier but now I've got those vertical controls (fantastic for portrait work!) and I can run about 10hrs on a single charge.

Do you mean the one battery lasts you 10 hours, or teh 2 batteries in the battery pack/verticle grip lasts you 10 hours, there for each battery would last 5? Is that with the camera beign left on the entire time and taking a picture here and there?

Have you tried to see how many pictures it takes to drain the battery? I did that with my fuji 3800 and at 350 I gave up. And thats with flash on every time. The flash was getting slow to charge though.

GerryDavid said:
Shark said:

Do you mean the one battery lasts you 10 hours, or teh 2 batteries in the battery pack/verticle grip lasts you 10 hours, there for each battery would last 5? Is that with the camera beign left on the entire time and taking a picture here and there?

Have you tried to see how many pictures it takes to drain the battery? I did that with my fuji 3800 and at 350 I gave up. And thats with flash on every time. The flash was getting slow to charge though.

That's around 10 hrs of continuous shooting (no flash--I use a speedlite 550EX). Figure around a thousand shots or more. Both batteries in the grip.

The main thing I dont like about the verticle grip is theres no dial for the manual controls. At least theres an on and off button so you dont trigger it by accident when your holding it normally. The other thing I dont like about it is at least with mine, the batteries are loaded on the top, which is screwed against the camera. At least its a 35mm camera and doesnt need to be changed any time soon, but with digital I change them each time I have a major outting and taking lots of pictures.

Most reactions

Back