Battery grip??

SabrinaO

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Why do people brag or put in their signatures that they have a battery grip?? I was on another forum and the poster felt the need to state he had a battery grip along with his exif info on a picture. Am i missing something here? Isn't a battery grip just a long lasting battery pack??

No... it allows you to shoot in portrait orientation using the same body stance you do when shooting in landscape.

Yea the button position on the grip is more than handy, its a tool.

No... it allows you to shoot in portrait orientation using the same body stance you do when shooting in landscape.

Oh thats good to know. I just looked at some on BHphoto... i didn't know they had the shutter buttons also?

Oh thats good to know. I just looked at some on BHphoto... i didn't know they had the shutter buttons also?

Some have more than that. My D7000 grip has front & rear command dials, multi-selector switch and AE-L / AF-L button. In a pinch, I can install six AA batteries to keep shooting with.

TW28202.jpg

Yeah - more buttons and all that. They do make life easier too. Not to mention the added battery power. But I still don't think it's anything to brag about...

"Pro" cameras have it built in. I guess the bragging comes from people wanting everyone else to know that their camera is "more pro" than it was before. Same as the people that have decals on their car saying what brand their tires or rims are... Most people could care less, but if it makes you feel better - why not?

Personally, I don't give a **** what camera you have, or what you added to it...

Yup battery grips are very useful, and can increase performance, ie. D7000 to 8fps.

Some have more than that. My D7000 grip has front & rear command dials, multi-selector switch and AE-L / AF-L button. In a pinch, I can install six AA batteries to keep shooting with.

TW28202.jpg
What sling mounts are those?

I want them. :lol:

They remind me of quick release rifle slings...

...Or are they just regular split rings...?

What sling mounts are those?

I want them. :lol:

They remind me of quick release rifle slings...

...Or are they just regular split rings...?

Factory set.

Weird...... for some reason, my sig isn't showing up.

Yeah when you attach a grip to your camera you can turn it to portrait orientation without having to have one hand up over the top of the camera. I went to a local camera store the other day and tried one out - it was funny because with the grip on and the camera on portrait orientation, it felt SO much like it does in landscape that when I brought the camera up to my eye I found myself bringing it to where the eyepiece would normally be instead of where it actually was, and confused myself momentarily. :lol:

It seems like a really nice addition (and after trying it I really want one), but from a technical standpoint with everything else being equal, you'll get the same photos with the grip as without. The comfort level may help you hold the camera steadier, but otherwise I don't see why someone would mention it among the EXIF settings. Personally I'm saving up for another flash before I get the grip. :)

i considered buying one for my 5d, but a.) i have three spare batteries that last a very long time anyway and b.) it would only make a very heavy camera heavier :( see what would be cool is if they also added a hotshoe on it for my flash if i choose to use it on-camera. specifically so i dont have to bounce it off my eyeballs in some circumstances

Yeah when you attach a grip to your camera you can turn it to portrait orientation without having to have one hand up over the top of the camera. I went to a local camera store the other day and tried one out - it was funny because with the grip on and the camera on portrait orientation, it felt SO much like it does in landscape that when I brought the camera up to my eye I found myself bringing it to where the eyepiece would normally be instead of where it actually was, and confused myself momentarily. :lol:

It seems like a really nice addition (and after trying it I really want one), but from a technical standpoint with everything else being equal, you'll get the same photos with the grip as without. The comfort level may help you hold the camera steadier, but otherwise I don't see why someone would mention it among the EXIF settings. Personally I'm saving up for another flash before I get the grip. :)
IMO, a grip makes a HUGE difference. Well worth the money if you don't have one and shoot in portrait orientation often.

I just don't think it's anything to brag about...

Makes you a long lasting, bigger package photographer.:thumbup:
Oh yeah and what ^^^^^^they said.

I have it on my D7000 and it's built in on my Fujifilm S2 Pro. The Nikon is small for my hands so the grip helps me to hold the camera much better and not so awkward. The extra battery holders give me the flexibility of using different types of batteries and extend shooting time. The portrait grip and buttons help a bit, but my tripod quick release is in the way. lol It makes the camera more balanced when you have heavy lens mounted too.

The portrait grip and buttons help a bit, but my tripod quick release is in the way.
That is the only thing I don't like about them... If I know I'm going to be hand-holding the camera for a wile, I take the quick release off for that reason.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back