What's new

Baubles

Bitter Jeweler

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Apr 27, 2009
Messages
12,983
Reaction score
5,003
Location
Cleveland, Ohio
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I love the 100mm Macro lens. I can't believe it catches the inclusions in the stone as well as it does.


I think I could have used just a little more DoF, but I want the ring shank out of focus. Does the back prong being slighty blurry bother you? I think this is my best diamond shot so far.
4180739814_491e1021a8_o.jpg




#2
I am thinking of using this for a postcard, with logo and text to the left.
4179977665_07f4f2ce35_o.jpg


#3
Too much shadow?
4179977447_7d6d0ed9f9_o.jpg
 
Last edited:
I agree with you on the 1st one - a bit more dof would probably be better.
GREAT capture - very sharp glass!
They all seem a bit underexposed though.
 
I tend to do that (underexpose/like them darker), I adjusted the first one, and am happier with it.

The DoF is pretty tricky. You can see in the last one, it blurred even the depth of the center stone.
 
The DOF on the first is fine as far as it looks to me. The stone does really stand out. The second shot would make a good logo or background to a business card. Would suggest maybe cropping the bottom 10-15% off. You'd probably have to shrink the image for the biz card unless you double-printed. The shadows are not too distracting on the bottom. If you feel they are, you probably have a black felt display to use.
 
Is this the new L macro, or the 'old' one?

1 & 2 are good. 2 is damn good. It would make a great postcard.

As far as jewelry pictures go (I'm no expert...) #2 is probably one of the best I can remember. It does look like it needs to be rotated 1 or 2 degrees counter-clockwise though.

3 just doesn't wow me like the first two... I can't really say why...maybe the shadow, maybe the composition.
 
These are done with the old 100mm 2.8.

#3 doesn't send me either. Some of this is just documentary, showing setting quality, where the rest of the mounting is less important. Thus why I opted for a wider Ap.

And, dammit it, it does need turned a couple degrees. I thought I nailed it, but after a long days work looking through magnifiers and microscopes...grrrr.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom