Bay views -- C&C Please

emh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Finally got around to actually using my camera after having it for almost 2 months. A few shots from San Francisco for C&C.

1. Heading for Tokyo
4658079911_33f06a6cb1_b.jpg

2. Alcatraz from a far
4658088329_16d4f8fabe_b.jpg

3. Reaching for Alcatraz
4658705914_451ec752cb_b.jpg

4. Schooner
4658081069_e5b9cbcc3a_b.jpg

Thanks!

Heya emf, it looks like you have not done much if any PP on your shots at all?

I had a real quick play with the first one, hope you dont mind, I will take it down if you ask.

Before:

4658079911_33f06a6cb1_b.jpg

After: Levels, curves, vibrancy, saturation and unsharp mask. 3 minutes. Quick and rough PP just to give you an idea what a little PP can bring out.

56udjggp.jpg

As for composition, the kite surfer gets lost in this shot, didnt even notice him at first glance, is the subject the passing ship or the kitesurfer etc?

2. doesn't do much for me, what the subject? Foreground is not all that interesting, alcatraz is too small be of any interest.

3. Could have been decent but the tree branch you used for framing perhaps? is impeeding view of the subject.

4. A low point of view may have worked a little better perhaps.

Just my 2 cents.

no 1 doesnt mean anything to me, 2,3 and 4 i like.

Hey Rob,

Thanks for the feedback! I did do a little bit of PP but not much. Agree the first one especially is in need of a bit of pop. Thanks for the before & after comparison!

Yes, the kite surfer is too small. I thought about a tighter crop but kind of liked the perspective of seeing more of the ship. But now that you've said it too I guess that needs to be cropped tighter :)

I wanted the branch to slightly obscure the island. But based on your comment maybe I'll try one where the two don't overlap next time I head out that way.

Thanks lunaaa for the feedback!

Last edited:
Here's a slightly tighter crop of the kite surfer (still can't get myself to crop very tight :()

4662555320_74318d2b2d_b.jpg

That is much better emh, starting to really show the scale of things :)

That crop is on your own PP? Looks much better than the original. Mine is a little harsh, but intentional to show the difference.

Good work.

Thanks, Rob.

Yes, the crop is after some PP of my own on the original. I'm not a huge fan of super-saturated colors but your comparison really drove home the point about how bland the original was (even by my standards) :D

Most reactions

Back