Beach Set Up?

Lynnzora

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Those of you who have done a beach shoot, what do you suggest as a set up? I've seen some beautiful shots... Where the beach is in the background... it looks like the sun is down or going down and model is perfectly lit. Do you actually bring your continuous lighting or big stobes on the beach? Or is that all flash? Please share. ;)

I do know that one of the best times to shoo is at sun set... But that alone isn't going to light the model perfectly like I've seen in many photos. I'll try to find some links... but yeah, I'd love to know.

You can use reflectors. I've heard that works well for the beach.

Well, I haven't actually done this, but-

I would think that you would have to use a speedlight (off camera), at least.

Use the flash to expose the subject, and use the aperture to control the exposure of the background.

Last edited:
This is the web site of a friend of mine. Caught on Film Photography

You'll find a ton of beach shots. Mostly the beach is in Coronado, Ca. and the background is frequently the Hotel Del Coronado, built in the 1880's or the large boulders on the beach of the hotel that serve as a breakwater.

All the flash is OCF (speedlights) on a light stand with no modifiers other than an occasional Sto-Fen diffuser and the speedlights radio triggered.

Check out his blog for more beach shots and click on his links and go to his LDPT forum and you can find shots he has made of some of his set ups.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back