beach shoot with my daughter

I think moms are more prone to project... based on the experiences with their own children! Fathers too, probably. I am just looking at the shots photographically.. with no "child" bias.... my opinions! These shots mean nothing to me... nothing for me to latch on to... there is no connection.

I think I see what you are saying, Charlie.

These really resonate with me, and they do have a double emotional whammy because when I look at them I suddenly remember very strongly how it feels to be a little girl looking out at the big ocean. Don't know whether the lack of eye contact makes it easier to project on the photos or not.

Charlie, and I'd like to take this discussion "outside" in another thread because it does raise questions for me (that are probably discussed extensively except I don't have the right search term for it. Will post something up in a bit.

Thank you everyone! I do have a ton more shots...(including toes in sand and eye contact ;) ) You can view them on my flickr if you are interested. They are not my strongest shots which is why I didn't post them here. My daughter is my toughest subject and it is very hard to get those eye contact shots we all love (though I did get some :D )

You know my first thought when I read the horizontal comment was "why would anyone want to shoot vertical at the beach?". Personally I like to include background in my photos, and to tell a story. If I just want a photo of my daughter by herself I will do it at home. I take plenty of portrait orientation photos, and it was an artistic choice to do these horizontally. ;)

Last edited:
I think moms are more prone to project... based on the experiences with their own children! Fathers too, probably. I am just looking at the shots photographically.. with no "child" bias.... my opinions! These shots mean nothing to me... nothing for me to latch on to... there is no connection.

I think I see what you are saying, Charlie.

These really resonate with me, and they do have a double emotional whammy because when I look at them I suddenly remember very strongly how it feels to be a little girl looking out at the big ocean. Don't know whether the lack of eye contact makes it easier to project on the photos or not.

Charlie, and I'd like to take this discussion "outside" in another thread because it does raise questions for me (that are probably discussed extensively except I don't have the right search term for it. Will post something up in a bit.

Thank you squirrels <3 I love that these cause such a strong emotional response. That is the goal of photography no? Anyway I don't really care what Charlie thinks of my photos. I LOVE them and am so proud of myself so there :p

Wow.. 7 shots.. horizontal...lots of dead space, and no eye contact in any of them! That put them in the classification of "Mom" shots... no interest to anyone else.
I think that's a bit harsh Charlie; I would say that these are definitely a cut (or more likely several cuts) above "momtographer" work. Is there room for improvement? Of coruse, and I think that's been mentioned, but as a set these aren't bad at all. In particular, I could see #5 (with a few more PP fine touchs) doing very well in a competition.

Technically yes... composition and posing.. not really! IMO! It is just that if one is going to advocate the "horizontal portrait" style... then they should do it well enough to justify it.... including all of the various elements that a good photo needs.

Most reactions

Back