What's new

Beached Kayaks

MikeDawson

TPF Noob!
Joined
Sep 24, 2014
Messages
16
Reaction score
4
Location
Utah
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
C&C please. (Sorry its Photobucket, cant get Flickr to link to photos)

beachedkayaks2_untitled_pregamma_1_drago_bias_0.jpg
 
Everything but the kayaks are a distraction?
 
Actually, the kayaks just add some nice color to an interesting scene. I would probably isolate the driftwood in the foreground and take care of the lighting blowout, to bring it more in tune with the shadowed areas. Just lighting and contrast probably. I like the shot..
 
Everything but the kayaks are a distraction?
Yes. Filling the frame with only the kayaks would cause the viewer to only see the color and shapes of the kayaks only. The colors of the kayaks is strong enough to carry the photograph.
 
Was it really this colorful? It looks over saturated to me?
Too busy..driftwood, telephone pole, bright red bldg in back etc.
I think the kayaks would be a great shot with the right angle.
Nancy
 
The highlights in the foreground and the telephone are really distracting to me. Very interesting location and I agree with Nancy, I think that, with the right angle, this would be a great shot!
 
Everything but the kayaks are a distraction?
Yes. Filling the frame with only the kayaks would cause the viewer to only see the color and shapes of the kayaks only. The colors of the kayaks is strong enough to carry the photograph.
Yep... ^^this^^. It's not necessarily that everything else is a distraction, but rather that you have several photographs in this one image. The kayaks on their own could probably yeild several nice images, the driftwood some more.
 
Thank you all so much! I'm learning less is more. It has had some photo shop done to it for a little more contrast I I bumped up the saturation just a little.
 
Make the subject obvious; draw my eye to it. Foreground elements are fine, but they shouldn't overpower the main subject. The same is true for backgrounds.
 
I cant do anything about the pier pylons.
Beachedkayaks_edit-1.jpg
 
Maybe something like this?
You could use a brightness layer and a mask to darken & de-emphasize the background.

cmw3_d40_1.webp
 
AH! I was under the impression it was not advisable to run objects off the frame but I see what your saying. Except for the photoshop lingo. I need bone up on my photoshop editing. I'll look for a tutorial on that.
 
It's an art. As far as composition, there are no rules; only suggestions. Don't be afraid to move around when you shoot - look at different distances and angles.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom