Beautiful empty road with progressive trees! What do you think?

timarp000

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
$DSC_0512.jpg

What do you think of this image?

Last edited:
I think the lighting is uninteresting in black and white. The upper part of the trees comes off as being show very tall, very majestically. With the trees and the road being so dark, the lighter area at the vanishing point draws my eye very strongly. I wish I could see the trunks of the trees with more details in them, and maybe a little bit of a lighter area on the road near the bottom of the frame, to keep the eye "down" a bit. I think this photo might look better seen larger, and printed. But fundamentally, the dark tree trunks and dark road seen against a bright background is just not optimal for holding the eye.

I think the lighting is uninteresting in black and white. The upper part of the trees comes off as being show very tall, very majestically. With the trees and the road being so dark, the lighter area at the vanishing point draws my eye very strongly. I wish I could see the trunks of the trees with more details in them, and maybe a little bit of a lighter area on the road near the bottom of the frame, to keep the eye "down" a bit. I think this photo might look better seen larger, and printed. But fundamentally, the dark tree trunks and dark road seen against a bright background is just not optimal for holding the eye.
I re-uploaded the image with the trees a little lighter. How is it now? Is it any better?

i like it. awesome trees. the height of the trees really makes this image for me. we've all see the low wide trees over a road before, but these with a longer transition into the sky gives a different visual ratio with the road (which is doesn't appear that long and would maybe not be that interesting of a subject by itself).

i like it. awesome trees. the height of the trees really makes this image for me. we've all see the low wide trees over a road before, but these with a longer transition into the sky gives a different visual ratio with the road (which is doesn't appear that long and would maybe not be that interesting of a subject by itself).
Thank you. The trees were giants! So large that i could not capture the whole thing in the frame!

I'm commenting on the larger photo posted. I agree with Derrel about the lighting, those gorgeous trees are lost in the darkness. However I still like the concept of the photo and the eye does follow right down the path, which I assume was your overall intent. What I really find distracting and this is just a nit pick, is that small bit of something on the left edge, its a ^shape that goes up over a bush. It could easily be cloned out. :)

I'm commenting on the larger photo posted. I agree with Derrel about the lighting, those gorgeous trees are lost in the darkness. However I still like the concept of the photo and the eye does follow right down the path, which I assume was your overall intent. What I really find distracting and this is just a nit pick, is that small bit of something on the left edge, its a ^shape that goes up over a bush. It could easily be cloned out. :)
How do i remove that ^ shape? That is a fallen over electricity pole.

The bright busy chaos of the trees competes a little too successfully with the strong line of the road.

The trees have contrast and busy-ness drawing the eye. The road has strong perspective lines and a bold graphical shape. The road needs to win, I feel, however that is accomplished, and the trees need to be made subordinate. The area at the end of the road needs to be stronger as well, I feel that should be your brightest area, or at least the highest contrast should be between the light area at the end of the road and the darker tones around it. That's your central visual point, that's where the attention naturally goes, but the weak tonality of the road, the low contrast/visual interest at the end of the road simply cannot contend with a giant mass of curves and constrast and busy texture in the trees.

Road up, trees down. End of the road up most of all. Where "up" and "down" mean in the heirarchy of visual interest - which you accomplish in b&w with tonal contrast, mostly.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back