Beautiful girl in infrared

AluminumStudios

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.aluminumstudios.com
A friend of mine modeled for me so I could start to get the ropes of photographing people (especially in infrared.)

Taken with an IR modified Coolpix 990 and a Hoya R72 filter:
aluminumstudios-emily-3709.jpg

This was taken with a Hoya R72 filter on my unmodified D50. Her natural brown hair became blue!
aluminumstudios-emily-3187.jpg

very nice..... i tried a self port the other day and found out about the blue hair thing..... pretty cool!..... although if you swap the red and blue channels (as you would for other types of IR photog) you end up with a strong ginger colour.... nasty!

Can I ask how long you exposed for in the second shot?

Archangel said:
very nice..... i tried a self port the other day and found out about the blue hair thing..... pretty cool!..... although if you swap the red and blue channels (as you would for other types of IR photog) you end up with a strong ginger colour.... nasty!

Can I ask how long you exposed for in the second shot?

That shot was 1/1.6", F/6.3, ISO400. The sun kept going in and out all day though, so I'd take a shot and look at my histograms to see if it was well exposed or not.

I've swapped color channels for other IR photos, but beyond turning their hair ginger, in some of my shots it turned her skin blue with the way I had it white balanced.

I really like the second one, blue hair and all. The tones of her skin really pop in that one, not to mention she looks really relaxed. One of these days I'm going to try out that IR film that's hiding in the freezer.

micatlady said:
I really like the second one, blue hair and all. The tones of her skin really pop in that one, not to mention she looks really relaxed. One of these days I'm going to try out that IR film that's hiding in the freezer.

Thanks, I love the second one too. I do my IR digitally and have never actually used IR film. I have seen lots of photos taken with Kodak HIE film though and love the grain it has.

AluminumStudios said:
That shot was 1/1.6", F/6.3, ISO400.

Thanks for the info..... i shot mine at iso 200 and probably with less sunlight so it resulted in a longer exposure time..... i'll bump up the iso next time :thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back