bigtwinky

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.pierrebphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
$LineWalk-1.jpg

Made this image last week on a night time photowalk.
Thoughts?

I also made a blog post about how I went from seeing the image to processing the image. If you are curious to read... here it is -> Urban: La Grande Bibliothèque | Pierre B Photo | Urban Montreal Pierre B Photo

Hey Pierre, great to see you back in the 'hood!

I'm really liking this image, especially after reading on your blog about the conditions under which it was taken. I can't help but think that a little perspective distortion correction would make it look even better. Let me know if you would like me to post a corrected version.

Sure bud, give it a shot. I rarely rework the distortion as I typically don't mind it, but curious what your eye and skill will give.

I didn't use to correct distortion, but recently it has started to bother me. Or maybe what's been bothering me have been some comments about my photos not being corrected for perspective distortion ;)

This was a 15-second job, simply to show how it would look if corrected.

$LineWalk-1.jpg

I hate you.
Your corrected version is nicer.

How did you process this? Distortion correction in Lightroom? Manual I assume, as I find using the lens profiles suck.

And thanks... I think I'll be looking at this more and more. Shot wasn't ultra wide, was at 27mm, but the angle of the camera to get over the fence was a bit up, making it worse

Nice composition, but I do like the perspective correction better. With all of the straight lines, I like the subtle circle on the ground to counter them.

Yeah, with those lines you're either forced to use a tilt-shift lens or to find a higher vantage point, not a luxury available to you that night it looks like. I used DxO ViewPoint to correct.

To be honest, I didn't realize that this was shot through glass and behind a fence until I read the blog post. B&W was a great call.

Thanks for the input Federico, really appreciated. Going to rework the image myself (and update the blog with proper props) and see what I get.
Damn I just love always learning :)

Thanks for the input Federico, really appreciated. Going to rework the image myself (and update the blog with proper props) and see what I get.
Damn I just love always learning :)
I resisted doing perspective correction for the longest time. Only a few weeks ago did I finally cave in :)

DxO ViewPoint is on sale ($49 instead of the regular $79) until the end of the month. There's a trial download here.

haha...

I just reworked it quickly. This software seems pretty damn powerful.

$LineWalk-1_straight.jpg

Now time to dive in and redo the horizontals. haha.

Last edited:
To me, the horizontal lines near the top not being parallel to the frame edge bothers me more than the vertical convergence.

If you use PS, the "skew" function allows both of these to be fixed quite easily.

Yep, I had to rework the horizontals as well after I posted this.
Thanks Ken :)

$LineWalk-1_straight.jpg

Most reactions

Back