Beautiful Senior!

nkmaurer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hannah is gorgeous and a lot of fun! Unfortunately it was raining outside so here is some of what we got from the indoor shots.

3726.jpg

3711T.jpg

3799TL.jpg

3812BW.jpg

3867.jpg

3899BW.jpg

3842.jpg

MarchingBandDesigner.jpg

Wow, she is gorgeous!

Anyways....

these are outstanding senior photos! I would definitely buy them, they look very pro! The only one I don't like is the last one but that is because of the layout, it looks cheesy to me, but thats just my opinion. All the others are GREAT!

1) Too many slanted angles. Chill with the angles.
2) The processing is very well done for this style.
3) The angles are still getting at me.
4) State champ of what? If there were a skiing oompa loompa in a parade, this is what it would look like. I know it's a senior pictures thing but this shot is sooooo 80's.
5) I think you should work on your interaction with your subjects. If they're giving you the same frozen smile every time, then it's your job to somehow catch them off guard. I'm sorry but that persistent fake smile I find positively terrifying. It reminds me of that Paris Hilton animation where her face remains identical across 50 photos.

Thanks for the comments.......I guess I should have mentioned that it is Marching Band state champs where the theme was slalom, or however it is spelled. It was something the mom really wanted....and wanted her looking at the camera in those pictures. But, I agree it comes across cheesy.

The angle thing..... I had just gotten back from listening about trying angles, I guess I took it a little overboard on this shoot......I had also tried some new actions.

Yeah, what is she the state champ of? Skiing, Flag girl, sword fighting? I would not do the last picture because it is probably the cheesiest thing I've seen since the 90's. The angles are a bit much, I'd use them less in order to really show them off when you do use them.

See now I love the angles and I think she will too. About the layout in the last one - I dont' think its all so bad as it's made out to be but the color and placemeny of the font may be adding to the 'cheesiness' everyone is talking about. Maybe if you try just black font? Her mother knows what she is state champ of I wouldn't worry to much about it.

1. The hand seems out of place on her chin to me. But, that's just a personal preference.
2. I really like this shot. There is some blown out skin, but I think it actually benefits the shot in this case. Her eyes might be able to use a bit burning.
3. This is a nice shot, but I'm not sure that all the stray hairs off to the sides are working for the shot. Is there any way to help this?
4. Nice shot, but again, there is a stray hair going across her neck. And that stray hair is something you simply will not see in professional portraiture. But, that shouldn't be a terribly difficult fix in PS.
5. A nice, traditional portrait. Nothing wrong with it. Good shot.
6. Slight stray hairs on her neck, but all the same, excellent. This is my favorite in the series.
7. Another traditional portrait, and it's another good one. Good stuff.
8. This is just, I don't know, cheesy. And it just doesn't look good when compared to the first seven shots. But, that's again a personal preference.

Overall: Very nice series. Just be careful of stray hairs, if they are noticed by a viewer, it's tough to not look at them for a while. They are very distracting and are not oft-seen in professional portraiture. So, other than that, excellent.

A very nice series!

I suggest you do some more work on posing hands, though you're not far off. This first view is where it shows the most.

And, being an old-school photographer, I always cringe a bit when I see wonderful shots like these done with so short a lens. No. 6 the most troubling. Oh well.

Did you think about getting rid of the second catch light?

All in all, a very nice shoot. Great variety.

-Pete

A very nice series!

And, being an old-school photographer, I always cringe a bit when I see wonderful shots like these done with so short a lens. No. 6 the most troubling. Oh well.

Did you think about getting rid of the second catch light?

-Pete

2nd catch light.....never thought of it!

Short lens.....I agree! I am hoping to get another camera soon. Indoors it is hard for me to use my 70-200 because of very minimal space, I can only get headshots but when people are here it is annoying switching lenses constantly. but, I agree! Thanks for the comments

Overall, I think they're great!!

I would like to see them not so "close" if you kwim. They seem a little too tightly cropped.

I like them but I too also have a problem with the angled shots. I don't do them myself and really can't see the appeal. Just a personal taste issue perhaps.

I think they are nice! Plus I actually like the last one - I bet her mom will love it! :) But that could be because I was in color guard with the marching band when I was in high school. :)

Most reactions

Back