Begging of architectural photography

karolziober

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi guys,

My name is Karol and I am from Poland. Recently i have started my first attempts with photography. I have chosen one picture from what i have done so far and i would like to hear your opinions if I'm going into right direction.

The picture represents the main entrance of Museum of the history of Polish jews in Warsaw.

Im shooting pictures for only a month now and i know that there is a lot of work thats why I'm open for any criticism.

Photo is attached to this thread

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• POLIN.jpg
    POLIN.jpg
    304.9 KB · Views: 115
First, welcome to the site. I hope we see more of you and your photography here.

Second, congrats on getting started with photography.

Third, here are my comments on the photograph: I think it's got lovely possibilities but you need to make some choices/decisions as to what you want the viewer to focus on. Think of it this way--if you shoot a sunrise or sunset, you don't want to put the horizon in the exact middle of the photo. You--the photographer--needs to decide if you want the viewer to focus more on the foreground or the sky (and adjust the horizon accordingly). You've got some similar choices with this photo--you need to decide what you want the viewer to focus on
--First, I'd level the ground. Right now it slants up to the left. By leveling the ground, it would create more of a diagonal line with the roof which makes it a better composition.
--While the color in the sky is lovely, given the museum and it's purpose, I'd crop the left and top so the focus was on the building, it's entrance and then the "ghosts" (blurred people)...which is very appropriate given that we're talking Poland, and a museum on Polish jews.
--The other option is to crop the foreground out so what we see is the form of the building, the color at the entrance, and the color in the sky (removing the people with your crop).

Thank you for your valuable suggestions. I will try to apply them in the post production to achieve the best out of it. I have about 180 shots from this place (all in the same composition) so i will experiment with the no-people option.

Once again thank you :)

I probably would just crop the top to bring the viewer more in to the scene, there's I think more space above the building than needed. I think it's straight already - look at the vertical lines of the building, they seem parallel to the side of the frame (right side).

I like the way you included the people, gives a feel of them coming and going. Nicely done for an early effort. Good choice of a subject, it's an interesting building and I like the light of the entrance and the darker blue of late day.

Take your time and don't worry about shooting so many of any one subject or scene - think about what you're seeing in your viewfinder or on your view screen and if it's what you want in your picture. It will take practice, keep at it and I hope you have fun with it.

Actually the picture was taken from the right angle of the building and i have straighten the vertical lines for it. i was just wondering if i should really straighten the top of the building as the pic was not taken vis-a-vis of the entrance.

thanks.

Actually the picture was taken from the right angle of the building and i have straighten the vertical lines for it. i was just wondering if i should really straighten the top of the building as the pic was not taken vis-a-vis of the entrance.

thanks.

Actually, I wouldn't straighten the top line of the museum. Diagonal lines create energy and interest in photos (or pictures of any kind). That's why I suggested leveling the ground so it's a true horizontal and level line...that will make the roof more of a diagonal and a stronger visual statement.

I like this very much. The only thing for me is that the Blurred people look like they're leaving the building (which they probably are, considering it's late in the evening), and make's it seem like the Museum is less inviting.
That being said, I went to Poland when I was younger, on an historical tour of the Jews in Warsaw, but I don't believe I ever made it to this museum.

Most reactions

Back