Beginner Camera Selection Help!

cvoliver

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So I am not completely clueless on what I am looking for. I am new to photography but I am somewhat experienced with cameras and photoshop. This will be used for a high school class, skateboard photography, some video filming, and personal use.
Price Range:$300-$400
Key Features:
DSLR
Decent Burst fps
a camera I can eventually add other lenses to
Other wanted features:
HD video
remote control availability
Here are some I have done research on but I am looking for other opinions.
[h=1]Canon PowerShot SX30 IS Digital Camera 4344B001 B&H Photo VideoPanasonic Lumix DMC-FZ40 Digital Camera DMC-FZ40K B&H PhotoNikon Coolpix P500 Digital Camera (Red) 26257 B&H Photo VideoOlympus SP-810UZ Digital Camera (Black) V103020BU000 B&H PhotoNikon D3000 SLR Digital Camera with 18-55mm VR Lens 25462 B&HPanasonic Lumix DMC-FZ40 Digital Camera DMC-FZ40K B&H PhotoCanon PowerShot SX30 IS Digital Camera 4344B001 B&H Photo Video
Thanks in advance for your help. Please feel free to ask me questions![/h]

I think the only one you listed that is a dslr and therefore will have interchangeable lenses is the Nikon D3000. I'm not familiar with Nikon so I don't know if that would meet your needs. As for Canon, the XS fits your price range... Canon EOS Rebel XS SLR Digital Camera (Black) with 2762B003 B&H . It's going to be really tough to get anything better *NEW* with that budget. You could find some used kits on craigslist that would work ok. I'm a big fan of buying used when it comes to photo equipment.

Are you willing to buy used, and are you near a large city?

In the buy and sell section on here someone is selling a Nikon d3000 for 350.00 (I think)

it will be hard to find something that does video for that price.

Thanks a lot for all of your help! Thanks to you I figured out I won't need interchangeable lenses and I think I found the perfect camera thats a little over my price range but shoots full HD video and has 11fps as full megapixels. Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ100 Digital Camera DMC-FZ100K B&H Photo (Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ100). Any good websites for cameras to advise me to while I do some searching?

That camera is showing discontinued. I know NOTHING about it, but perhaps there is an updated replacement for it at the same price?

Most reactions

Back