Beginner lens question

GerritSmith

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Mod please delete this!

Last edited:
An 18-55 kit lens is more than enough to learn with. You'll figure out what you need in the way of lenses as you shoot more and start to develop an interest in certain types of shots. It's kind of like, "I need a new vehicle, what should I get"? I don't know. Is it for work? Family? Do you need to haul a camper? Will you be going off road? Etc., etc.

An 18-55 kit lens is more than enough to learn with. You'll figure out what you need in the way of lenses as you shoot more and start to develop an interest in certain types of shots. It's kind of like, "I need a new vehicle, what should I get"? I don't know. Is it for work? Family? Do you need to haul a camper? Will you be going off road? Etc., etc.

Exactly. Keep working with what you have and eventually you will be able to answer your own question. When I first got into photography, I thought I needed it all. I ended up selling a good portion of the lenses in favor of something that actually suited me.

Ok thanks! Its just sometimes I wish I has a better zoom lens to get shoots of objects that are far away.

If you find you're using it at 55 a lot then consider the 55-250 or one of the 70-300 lenses. You can get some fairly cheap lenses as an introduction but you'll probably want something better not too long after that.

Also consider the 50 f/1.8 - its incredibly cheap (got mine for AU$80 new) and give a nice introduction to fast lenses. Makes a decent portrait lenses on the crop bodies.

Those above are probably fine to go with if you want something to try out because they aren't overly expensive. Beyond that I would suggest making sure you have a better idea of what is limiting you and why you need to upgrade so you can make the best choice for something that will last you a long time / be worth the money.

2nd the 50mm 1.8 , know you will notice the difference in a prime lens and what you have now. Like they mention it is about an 80mm on a DX camera frame, so it makes for a great portrait lens.
-
Shoot well, Joe

The 50mm is over rated. You should get the 100-400mm F/4L.

Thanks! Do you think I could get an 55-200 mm or a 70-300 mm lens for around $100?

The reason why naming forums "beginner", "beyond the basics", etc... and letting people try to decide for themselves where things should go is a bad idea.

Thanks! Do you think I could get an 55-200 mm or a 70-300 mm lens for around $100?
-
Not sure if you can, but folks are trying to guide you to a prime lens so that you can see the difference in image quality. Once you see it you will invest your money wisely on lenses that give you quality results. Do not just look at Canon lenses plenty of off brand names come out with quality glass at a lower price but at times they may not do a particular function that can only be done with the mfr. lense, so you have to do some homework on them.
-
you can go to flikr Canon 18-55 lens - Flickr: Search and punch in most lenses and see images taken with that lens to give you an idea of what it is capable of , keep in mind that alot also has to do with your post processing steps of the image as well. If you are starting with a nice clean image , post processing should be easier.

-
Let us know what really interest you Landscape/Scenics/Portraiture/Journalism so that we can guide you in the right direction. Most of us have plenty of lenses we do not use anymore or very little and want to keep you from investing in something you do not really need or will be disappointed with later on.
-
Here are some shots taken with the 50mm 1.8: over-rated or not it will teach you how shallow depth of field may affect your images.
Canon 50mm 1.8 - Flickr: Search Know you are excited to learn , but do what others fail to do: slow down, read about it, listen to what others say and make a decision on your own. Do not fall into the salesman trap of "I shoot with this lens and it is great". Take the camera with you into the shop and a friend put the lens on your camera and take a few shots of your friend, process them at home and see if you like the images. Do not fill out the warranty card right away as most of the time you have 10 days or so to register the lens. If you have to return it some businesses frown on not getting everything as it was in the box so wait try it out and see if you like the results if not "take it back". (know the return policy with whoever you are doing business with ahead of time.)
-
Shoot well, Joe

Last edited:
I would say to try this post in the beginner forum. With that said, it depends what you like to shoot. Personally I would go for a tele to round out your coverage. A 55-250 on the cheap (there is an updated version coming out soon ) or the 70-300 usm IS. Thats just me though.

Ok cool. Like on ebay I can get lenses that are COMPATIBLE with a Canon dslr, for $15-$70

The reason why naming forums "beginner", "beyond the basics", etc... and letting people try to decide for themselves where things should go is a bad idea.

But wouldn't it be more appropriate to post this thread in the Photography Equipment & Products: News & Reviews forum?
It's summary says: "Also get advice on what equipment to purchase and get opinions from others about various products." Just sayin'.
So in effect, you are encouraging people to post in "The Dump".

Most reactions

New Topics

Back