Beginner Looking For Feedback

reef58

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I mostly lurk here, but wanted to post this picture for some feedback. The reason being is I really like this photo, but it appears to not fit the definition of a good photo. That leads me to question my eye. Looking for brutal honesty as to what is wrong here. That being said I think I will still like it. Oh well.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• post.jpg
    post.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 141
Welcome.

What makes you write; "..what is wrong here." ?

Lacking a clearly identifiable subject, taken in flat light, with not a lot of color separation, and a so-so composition, I would put this shot in the category of "texture study".

As such, it's not bad.

The reason being is I really like this photo, but it appears to not fit the definition of a good photo.

Now here's the crux...

You've attached an emotion and significance to what you've done that others may not see. What I see is an image that's so small and flattened in relative tones and contrast that I find it difficult to make out what it is.

It's small, as in really tiny. In that small image can you make out any real definitive shape? Given that the people you are showing it to have absolutely no Idea what you're showing, something in which you have a complete advantage by knowing exactly what it is in advance. ;)

Thanks for the feedback. I am not attaching emotion, but rather some concern that I like the photo, and it has flaws as pointed out. Sorry about the small file. I do appreciate the feedback. I actually like the color, but see the points about the light and subject.

Thanks for the feedback. I am not attaching emotion, but rather some concern that I like the photo, and it has flaws as pointed out. Sorry about the small file. I do appreciate the feedback. I actually like the color, but see the points about the light and subject.

But you really like this picture - that's emotion - and there isn't anything present in the picture that would stir feelings in others.

Maybe I just have no eye for photography? I am being extreme with that comment, but that was the point of this thread.

Maybe I just have no eye for photography? I am being extreme with that comment, but that was the point of this thread.

That's neither here nor there.
I have lots of pictures that I love and no one else even likes.
I like virtually every single one of my travel pictures or pictures of my children.
As long as I recognize that my attachment is deeply rooted in my own history, no problem
What you are dealing with here is the need to learn to be objective about one's own work and to understand that personal attachments to any specific picture are not any sign that the picture is good or bad - or would appeal/communicate to others.

.. some concern that I like the photo,
In the title of this thread you admit to being a beginner, so it's perfectly understandable that you're going to like much of what you have produced up to this point. Go ahead and like it, nobody says you shouldn't like it.

I like it quite a lot. I think it's a very good photo and I'd like to see a larger version of it. It's a study in repetitive patterns and it's visually interesting and satisfying.

Joe

Two people have mentioned that this image would have more impact if it were shown larger; that is a very common problem when images are shared on the world wide web at very small sizes...there are many types of subject matter that rely on abundance of details, the showing of fine details, nuances, and so on, to make their point, and I think this photo is one of those types of photos. The idea that it lacks a central subject might be mistaken if the concept is the pattern, the repeating jagged rocks, with the hardly plants that grow from right out of the cracks in the rocks...this is the pattern study that was mentioned above. My experience is that pattern study shots almost always demand VERY clear showing of the nuances, or they often fall flat.

I didn't disappear. Been traveling and did not receive notice of other responses. Thanks for all of the feedback. I am working on getting better

Photography is very different from other forms art in that it is a reductive process. Our world is full of complexity that our brains are able to simplify subconsciously as we experience them. However, the complexity and chaos of the natural world becomes readily apparent when it is on a 2D surface to be viewed. It takes experience to learn how the world translates from what we see with our eyes to the print or screen and make a strong composition.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back