What's new

Revealing the Beauty of Architecture, Not the Photo

kayumanggisnapshot17

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Jun 25, 2026
Messages
124
Reaction score
142
Location
Okinawa Japan
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
For me, architecture photography is about honesty. Whatever the building looks like in the photograph should be exactly how it appears when you see it in person. This genre is not about showcasing the beauty of the photo itself, but about revealing the beauty of the architecture. Personally, weather is the most important factor for me—natural light is my number one consideration. That’s why I only shoot in daylight and avoid architectural night scenes. One of my core principles in post‑processing is simple: the moment the image starts to look unreal, that’s when I stop. My personal satisfaction comes when a viewer says, “What a beautiful building,” instead of “What a beautiful photo,” because it means I succeeded in highlighting the architecture, not my photography.

IMG_9517_polarr.webp
 
I consider "architectural photography" to be a genre distinct from other types of building photography. "Architectural photography" is what is found in the images of The Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS), The Historic American Engineering Record (HAER), and The Historic American Landscapes Survey (HALS). Those images, housed at the Library of Congress, are documentary images, not aesthetic images.
 
I consider "architectural photography" to be a genre distinct from other types of building photography. "Architectural photography" is what is found in the images of The Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS), The Historic American Engineering Record (HAER), and The Historic American Landscapes Survey (HALS). Those images, housed at the Library of Congress, are documentary images, not aesthetic images.
In my case, when I use the term architecture photography, I’m referring to a practice that values accuracy and honesty while still acknowledging the creative decisions that naturally come with photography—composition, timing, and especially the use of natural light. It isn’t documentary in the strict archival sense, but it also isn’t about stylizing a building to create an entirely different mood or identity.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom