Beginner needs CC please!

HopePan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I shot this of my son for his two year old portraits. Something about the photo just feels flat. I would like tips for a good edit. Im trying to stay away from actions bc I'm not a big fan of over processed images. I didn't realize i was shooting on low resolution... $RyBirthday.jpg Please click on the pic; it looks funny in this thread window.

Last edited:
Your WB is off big time, so that is probably what seems off to you... and you chopped off his right pointer finger.

I'd also like it better if he was making eye contact, but I do like that you got catchlights anyway.

Did you click the picture? His skin looks funny in the thread? Afterwards is my WB balance still off? Any tips on correction?

Shirts blown out.. and skin tones are off (very cool)

Added some red, killed some green, added some yellow.... decreased overall brightness a touch. Also straightened him up a bit... mine is on the right

$ccRyBirthday.jpg

You probably need to calibrate your monitor... if the first shot looked anywhere near normal for you.

I'm not sure what is going on..but the image on the left isnt what my image looks like. The skin tone is off. Any idea why its showing differently in the thread than when you click on my original photo?

Have you calibrated your monitor? Aside from the issues noted above, the image is emotional flat. meaning, for a second birthday photo I'd personally like to see a big cheesy smile.

Yes, literally, if you click on the original photo its different than the view here. I'm not sure why, but that wouldn't be a calibration issue. These are portraits a day after the party. The photos where he is looking, he is crying or is blurry from running. Terrible 2's. The only one of him smiling, he had eaten red icing and his teeth and tongue are colored. Please click the picture and tell me if it changes the appearance. The picture as showing in the thread, his skin is gray.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what is going on..but the image on the left isnt what my image looks like. The skin tone is off. Any idea why its showing differently in the thread than when you click on my original photo?

What color profile are you editing in? Colorspace shows Prophoto RGB.. normally when posting to web, you want SRGB. But it shouldn't change that much.....

This is your Exif data: (no real problems there.. but I would set it to spot meter, rather than pattern... and a custom white balance is always preferred)

[ PhotoME ]
PhotoME version: 0.79R17 (Build 856)

[ Overview ]
URL: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...52217-beginner-needs-cc-please-rybirthday.jpg
File type: JPEG
File size: 1,687.4 KB
Creation date: 9/12/2012 10:36
Last modification: 10/7/2012 17:40
Make: Canon
Camera: Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Software: Adobe Photoshop CS3 Windows
Dimension: 1920 x 2400 px (4.6 MP, 3:4)
Focal length: 50 mm
Aperture: F2.2
Exposure time: 1/125"
ISO speed rating: 125/22°
Program: Manual
Metering Mode: Pattern
White Balance: Auto
Flash: Flash fired, compulsory flash mode

Last edited:
I've never even heard of changing metering mode...google here I come...
On another note, you see the difference between my clicked photo and the one in the thread?

On another note, you see the difference between my clicked photo and the one in the thread?

Yes, I see the difference but still your WB is off even after clicking it. The edit Charlie made looks much better!

There is a very minor difference.. the full size is a tiny bit warmer, but still not good. You are shooting a 5D Mark III and have never heard of changing metering modes? hmmmmmm....

$RyBirthday2.jpgThe only of him smiling. Any tips to get the red out of his mouth would be appreciated. Man, again with the gray skin.

I really like the first shot! Aside from the WB and finger chop its well done. Great catchlights and I don't mind it at all that he's not looking at the camera.

Perhaps my monitor calibration is off, because the one Charlie made appears slightly orange.
No, I've not heard of metering modes and yes I recently bought a mk iii. I owned a T2i, and it wasn't enough. I didn't want to spend the money on a better crop frame when I was positive I wanted to learn to use a full frame. I've been shooting for about 5 months.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back